Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Need opinions on SS dagger with missing eagle...

Article about: Thx ade

?

Default Need opinions on SS dagger with missing eagle...

Hi all,

I have a seller asking me to make an offer on this SS dagger with a small chip at the top of the handle near the SS roundel (see photos), and is missing the eagle. Otherwise it appears to be in decent shape. The maker is Böker.

Questions...

1. Would a replacement eagle be fairly easy to find?
    2. Do you see any signs that the eagle was pried out (damage to the wood)? I don't notice any, but not sure what to look for since I've never seen one without the eagle.
    3. How much would a replacement eagle cost (in general)?
    4. Will most any eagle fit properly, or does it need to be an eagle by the same maker (Böker)?

I'd also like some opinions on what I should pay for this piece, as-is (how much would you pay for it in my shoes?). I've never come across one missing the eagle before (not to mention the chip), so I definitely don't want to overpay. Feel free to PM me if you're not comfortable answering the question of value in the thread.

Sorry, photos aren't great, but they're all I have at this point...

Thanks!
    Dzyner

I collect SS Daggers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need opinions on SS dagger with missing eagle...
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Need opinions on SS dagger with missing eagle...

I would say that the eagle has been prised out as there is a small indentation in the wood just above where the eagles head would be, also it appears as if there is some form of glue that has been used prior to that, the handle looks to be the original because of the neat fitting on both crossguards, the chip does detract from the value , also eagles are available but as to price i have no idea, one cost me £25 20yrs ago , as to cost of the dagger in its present form i think thats hard to say, factor in the damage and the replacement eagle

?

Hi davejb,

Thanks for the reply and feedback. Any suggestions on where I might find an SS eagle to replace it, and are they fairly standard (i.e. will most any SS dagger eagle fit the cutout in the handle of this Boker dagger)? I want the metals to match as much as possible.

I saw a grip eagle for 150$. Just search on google, but dont buy the ones from Reddick.

?

Personally, I would request more photographs. The quantity and quality of the photographs needs to be much greater if you are seriously considering purchasing this item. Even compensating for the damage and the lack of an adler in the handle, this piece, if original, would not be cheap. The crossguards appear to fit perfectly, which is always a good indicator of authenticity but you need more photographs to be in a position to make a better judgement and of course, a sensible offer. Good luck, I hope that it is original and you acquire it for a fair price.

Regards

Carl

?

I got mine through a bit of luck from a dealer but i have seen them at some arms fairs, perhaps try phoning around various dealers, as to matching metals i can only say you will take pot luck as to the patinas, i suspect that they are all alike and may fit most daggers

Hi Darren, try here, but the ones listed are for later RZM Daggers:

Dagger, Sword, Bayonet: Pommels, Grips, and Crossguards

The dagger itself looks ok.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks Ade! Looks like the SA and NSKK dagger eagles will work as well, based on what they're saying about the one listed in your link. That may make it a little simpler to locate one.

?

What i dont understand is that the scabbard seems to be anodised so this would be an early one, so....normally the grip would be made of ebony.
    ebony is also dark to black on the inside, if you see chipped grips of ebony the chip is also dark.
    The wood were the eagle suposed to be is not dark/black, so is this ebony?
    if its not ebony it prop.would had shrink a little in time but this grip fits the guards like yesterday........
    I think you should post good detailed pictures.
    So my question: is this dagger a part dagger and is this a genuine grip?

correct me if im wrong but it was the first thing that came up when i saw this one.

No, not all SS dagger grips were ebony. The wood used vary from maker to maker.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast