Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Need opinions on SS dagger with missing eagle...

Article about: Thx ade

?

Default Re: Need opinions on SS dagger with missing eagle...

Thx ade

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need opinions on SS dagger with missing eagle...
    P
    Many

Hi, you can purchase factory remnant SS grip eagles in aluminium from Lt.Col Johnsons Site - last I saw approx' $US35.

Regards, Grant

?

Thanks Grant. Ade suggested the same site. My only concern is whether or not the aluminim eagle on Johnson's site is correct for this maker. I want to try as much as I can to find one that is correct. If anyone knows whether or not the eagle on this page...

Dagger, Sword, Bayonet: Pommels, Grips, and Crossguards

...is correct for a Boker SS Dagger, please let me know. If so I'll order it today unless someone has a slightly more weathered bird that is also correct for this maker?

Aluminium eagles were only used on later RZM issue daggers, so it would not be correct for an early Boker made dagger. You need one with a plated nickle finish.

It is always worth dropping dealers a line to enquire about odd items which might not make it onto the website, but could well be in their stock, sitting in a drawer.

Cheers, Ade.

?

I received the dagger and took better shots of the grip to show the eagle area. I'm curious how one would attach since all of the grip eagles I've seen have two prongs, yet this dagger only has one hole beneath the Swastika wreath.

Here are some grip eagle examples I found to show what I'm referring to...

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

...Should there be two holes in the grip, one for each prong, or am I looking for a very specific type of eagle?

If anyone knows the answer, or knows where I can find one specific to this dagger, please let me know. I'll also take Ade's advice and contact several dealers.

Thanks!
    Dzyner

I collect SS Daggers.

?

Im not sure but i think you might find that there could be another hole under whatever it is thats filling the top area, one reason might be that the original eagle had its top prong broken and therefore someone used a type of glue to hold the thing in but it obviously fell out again, i would very carefully scrape the the substance away until you reach the grain of the wood then see if there is another hole thats been filled

?

You're a genius davidjb! I carefully flaked away the glue (?) around where the hole should be and without any effort it more or less disintegrated away revealing the hole. I'm psyched now! I really, really, really want to find the correct eagle for this thing so I can make it whole again.

Thanks!
    Dzyner

I collect SS Daggers.
    Last edited by dzyner; 09-27-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Great news ! Hope you can find a nice eagle for it. Good luck,
    and show some photos when complete..........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Glad I could help, now find a decent looking eagle and get that sucker stuck in there, you should find that now that glue has gone the eagle will be a reasonably tight fit and the wings should be just proud of the wooden edge

?

This is probably going to be a stupid question, so please forgive me, but if an eagle is RZM marked it is not proper for this dagger, correct (i.e. since the dagger is not RZM, the eagle would not have been either)? The reason I ask is because I found this eagle...

https://www.germanmilitariacollectib...ified_ID=12398

...which is nickel silver, which is the proper metal match for this dagger, correct? But it is RZM marked so I'm curious if technically the manufacture period is not proper for this dagger. Thoughts? Am I being to particular?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast