Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Numbered SS dagger # 2

Article about: Once in a great while a member will post a great find with a serial numbered SS dagger. These are always a pleasure to see and most of the time researchable. To have a numbered dagger in one

Default Numbered SS dagger # 2

Once in a great while a member will post a great find with a serial numbered SS dagger. These are always a pleasure to see and most of the time researchable. To have a numbered dagger in ones collection brings the new owner closer to the identity of the original owner.
    Member "MongoBongo" of the WAF has displayed the ultimate in Numbered SS daggers especially when it comes down to a single digit number. Below are a few photos of SS# 2 belonging to Hitlers confidant stretching back to the Landsberg prison days.
    Seeing a dagger of this quality and low number is heart stopping!
    Also below is a description byWAF Member Mongobongo of this Great find.....Regards Larry

By MongoBongo:........
    Without a doubt it is one of the real edged weapon treasures of the Reich. Emil Maurice was the founder of the SS (SS number 2, Hitler being 1) and Hitlers bodyguard and Chauffer in the early years. He apparently helped with "Mein Kampf" and had an affair with Hitlers Niece.

This piece survived the war with the family and then came out of Germany a few years ago when a large number of his items were sold off.

The workmanship on this piece is absolutely mind blowing, the detail and depth of the workmanship is of a superb quality. Similar quality engravings can be found on leading TR guns including pistols that used to belong to Hitler. The Pommel nut is a watch escapement. Maurice was a watch maker before the war and other surviving items of his also show this emblem mounted within a shield.

The rear of the dagger is also fantastically done and shows his SS number 2 but I dont want to post in case fakers get enough to copy it. Its certainly the lowest numbered SS dagger in existence!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Numbered SS dagger # 2   Numbered SS dagger # 2  

Numbered SS dagger # 2   Numbered SS dagger # 2  

Numbered SS dagger # 2   Numbered SS dagger # 2  

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Numbered SS dagger # 2
    P
    Many

Default Re: Numbered SS dagger # 2

.............. I am speechless!!!! The history... Where that daggers been..... Thanks for posting this, for I am not a member over there and haven't seen this yet.

Not only was Emil Maurice all that and more, he was also, shockingly enough, Jewish...and one of Hitler's closest friends.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Maurice was an alterkampfer who was imprisoned in Landsberg with Hitler. A watchmaker by trade, he was one of the earliest members of the Nazi Party being member #39. His brother Franz was NSDAP member #6285. As stated, Emil was SS member #2 and his brother SS member #387. Emil served as Hitler's bodyguard and chauffer. Following the death of Geli Raubel, with whom he was having a serious affair, he fell out of the inner circle. In 1936, Heinrich Himmler attempted to have both the Maurice brothers expelled from the SS due to their Jewish heritage. Hitler intervened and ordered Himmler to cease his efforts. Himmler did add language to the by laws of the SS forbidding the future enrollment of anyone into the SS of Jewish blood. Emil Maurice served as a councilman in Munich until the end of the war and went through denazification. I do not believe Hitler ever was an official member of the SS.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thats one beautiful dagger, thanks for sharing!! I love reading the history of the Orginal owner. Cheers, Robert

Nice piece and great history - the engraving is of quality.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

There still exists rare pieces of history out there. Thanks for sharing.

?

The engraving is marvelous! that truly is stunning!
    What strikes me is the quality of the blade, it suffered a lot, it does not match the rest of the dagger ;(

Ger

I am leaning on the dagger maker being an Eickhorn or a Boker,,as from what I can see in a couple of SS references. The letter "T" in "Treue" has a subtle difference in its shape. This is very identifiable to the eye. I can understand the present owners reluctance not to show the reverse side as these daggers would flood the market all they way down to the Flea market and the "Dead German stories". Thank you Bob Coleman for your input and bio on Emil Maurice,,, it adds a coldness to a very close proximity to Hitler himself. I also dont believe that Hitler was SS#1 or it may be more of an Honorary number since "Der Fuhrer" wanted to be number one in all things anyway.
    I was stunned when I first saw this surface a few years ago,,and it tells me that great daggers and artifacts can still be found,, and not just left overs. Im still waiting for Ernst Rohms dagger to surface as he had the dual Runes button on his dagger grip.
    @ Gerrit......Its hard to tell the quality of the blade as it is laying next to a window and for some reason,, even when I take photos near a window,, even on an overcast day,,a "blue aura' like color appears reflecting on the blade.
    I know I myself could not be comfortable with owning an example of this type of background. I would be afraid to display it in fear of theft. This is one for the advanced collector. I know for sure that some SS honor daggers are priced at 80K,, ahhh give or take a few thousand,,, just pennies in difference right?....but a dagger of this calibre I would not know where to begin my thoughts on a price! Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill