Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Question regarding periodn Type I chain upgrades to existing SS daggers...

Article about: Hi all. Annoyed from this ads?   I have a question... Were officer's allowed to upgrade their existing SS daggers with just the chain assembly? If so, did this occur with Type I chain a

?

Default Question regarding periodn Type I chain upgrades to existing SS daggers...

Hi all.

I have a question... Were officer's allowed to upgrade their existing SS daggers with just the chain assembly? If so, did this occur with Type I chain assemblies as well as Type II?

The reason I ask is because I recently purchased a nice chained SS dagger with a Type I chain assembly, but solid nickel fittings otherwise. So to clarify, the Type I chain assembly (chain, throat fitting and central mount fitting) are nickel plated as expected, while the guards, eagle, and scabbard tip fitting are all solid nickel. The blade is unmarked as well.

Thanks!
    Dzyner

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question regarding periodn Type I chain upgrades to existing SS daggers...
    P
    Many

As the story goes..Yes they were allowed to upgrade their dagger once they reached their 3 consecutive year period of SS service..then they were entitled to the Chained SS dagger.

Yet according to your story ( post photos when you get a chance ) that you have an early Unmarked dagger belonging to an early Chained SS at one time..but now you have a Type I chained assembly married to an early dagger. I cant explain what happened there....unless the officer lost or damaged his original chain Type II..
    ( which is worth more by the way )

All I can say..it is a very uncommon occurrence ..for this type of match to be made..but yet not impossible. Photos please . Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

To answer Dyzner's question (with the preface that were two production series of the nickel silver mounted daggers with probably the earliest one the 'nasal septum' type that was published on-line on the GDC forum before the "SS" book). That said, the best period information available at this moment (IMO) is that in 1935 there was an announcement that nickel silver (roughly 2/3 copper) and other strategic metal alloys were no longer going to be available for items not essential to the military buildup. But no announcement that pre-existing supplies had to be turned in to be recycled. And some other period documentation outlining the slightly later RZM standards such as nickel plated iron or zinc for cross guards etc.

With Himmler's original announcement of the M 1936 listing only complete M 1936 daggers for sale to qualified SS members. No scabbards or parts. With only complete M 1936 (and M 1933) daggers for sale in the early SS price lists. Then in 1938 which should be well into the RZM time period, an SS price list was published showing a dagger scabbard with hanger @ RM 9.50, the M 1933 service dagger @ RM 7.10, and the complete M 1936 service daggers for sale @ RM 12.15. Best Regards, Fred