Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

RZM 1198/39 SS Dagger - Opinions Please

Article about: Hey guys, Just joined the forum yesterday and made my first thread over in the helmets section and I am pleased to see you guys actually reply and are active! So I will post up my SS dagger

Default RZM 1198/39 SS Dagger - Opinions Please

Hey guys,

Just joined the forum yesterday and made my first thread over in the helmets section and I am pleased to see you guys actually reply and are active! So I will post up my SS dagger to get your opinions.

I acquired this direct from a vet -- It was sitting in his attic for 60+ years in his home and he and his wife recently went to a nursing home and sold most of their stuff. It is an RZM 1198/39 SS Dagger, with scabbard and belt strap / holder. Please see the attached pictures. I will be taking better pictures soon. Thanks!

RZM 1198/39 SS Dagger - Opinions PleaseRZM 1198/39 SS Dagger - Opinions PleaseRZM 1198/39 SS Dagger - Opinions PleaseRZM 1198/39 SS Dagger - Opinions PleaseRZM 1198/39 SS Dagger - Opinions PleaseRZM 1198/39 SS Dagger - Opinions PleaseRZM 1198/39 SS Dagger - Opinions PleaseRZM 1198/39 SS Dagger - Opinions Please

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RZM 1198/39 SS Dagger - Opinions Please
    P
    Many

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    At a quick glance it looks okay. If it is as it appears, congratulations!
    There will be more opinions for sure.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

A little rough but looks good to me.

Hi Klash..welcome to the forum...glad you joined up..maybe in time..place your user name in Pink status . The 1198 is an unknown maker and the 39 is the year in which it was produced. The small SS runes beneath the RZM number is correct also which is common for this 1198 maker. This Producer appears to had a production run of 3 yrs 1938-40.

Your dagger has seen its better days...and is a RZM Diamond in the rough for mid to later period collectors. Through the fog..your dagger also appears to have retained much of its crossgrain. Nice to see that. Sacrilege is a holy word in my book..and when I see a dagger reversed in its scabbard..my blood runs cold..that like finger nails on a blackboard.

The hanger is worn but still lovely and Im curious if you make see the date or numbering stamped into the leather. This dagger for its unknown producer among the RZM collectors ..is a mid range rarity. The best part of this whole ensemble..is that it was left untouched all these years..with history frozen in time. These Vet finds have to be on the top of the list..of actually speaking to you the history of that period. Love it . Untouched and un messed with...you have a great late period SS dagger in worn but third owner condition..with your grandfather being the second. Thankyou for showing this time piece..and Merry Christmas. Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thx for showing your SS dagger and welcome to the forum.
    Its rough as been said, but its an Original all the way.
    Thx for showing.

Regards,
    Ger

?

Great piece in untouched and uncleaned shape!!
    Thanks for showing.
    Ron

Thank you all for the kind words, It's much appreciated. I hope I get to have my name in pink some day as well! I have only shared a few of my helmets and this dagger with you all so far, but I have a bunch more!

Also -- Here is another pic of the RZM stamping on the hanger leather - It appears to say RZM 2/105/38 (I could be wrong with the 105 part) Here's a pic:

RZM 1198/39 SS Dagger - Opinions Please

Merry Christmas!!!!

HI Klash thankyou for the pic..I rotated it for you for a better view. The 38 is the year of production and yet...not an impossible combination. Very Nice. Nice piece of History that talks to you. Regards Larry

Looks like a 105 to me also
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Looks like an original piece, to my eyes, but extremely poorly stored for the last 70 years. A shame, as the condition figures heavily into it's worth.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Video of this dagger if anyone's interested