Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SS Bayonet -Fantasy or Real? Division"Maria Theresia"

Article about: by Richie B No £1000 Worth at least £50. This is a standard German WW2 bayonet with a totenkopf attached to the frog. Hope that helps. Richie I took a quick look at this bayonet. The guy pro

?

Default Re: SS Bayonet -Fantasy or Real? Division"Maria Theresia"

Quote by AudaAbuTayi View Post
    @Adrian

ist this your work adrian? as i see, you are from Great Britain the home of
    special honour bajonets :-)

best wishes Auda
    These bayonets were produced by one individual , being British doesn't mean you produce fake engraved bayonets
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Bayonet -Fantasy or Real? Division"Maria Theresia"
    P
    Many

@Paul E

sorry paul, it was a joke!

Piece of crp

Not even a good one.

Some of them get sold for quite large sums of money.

I think some are purchased in good faith by the ignorant and some by those with certain political leanings.

They also turn up with U Boat and Fallschirmjager etchings.

They were produced in the UK and are believed to be the work of ...

Richie

?

The photos of SS troops in the field carried the wood handle , not many in the army or Luft..... some dealers like to etch blades

I have a somewhat different assessment of the matter. With the exception of one solitary very late 1937 bayonet, I have never seen an original plastic gripped bayonet from that year or before (reworks are another matter). Likewise, with maybe a few rare exceptions, from 1938 on, all makers used the plastic grips with the diagonal grooves. In 1942 it changed probably because of a material shortage. And both types are seen (depending on the time period and maker) to the end of the war with a further change to a reddish Bakelite versus the earlier black.

That wood gripped bayonets are seen IMO is merely an indicator of an earlier manufactured bayonet (pre-1938). As for the SS, it also used captured equipment including the Czech made Vz 24 bayonets as seen in period photos. But that in of itself does not necessarily mean SS provenance. Because other Wehrmacht formations were also issued Czech equipment,

Attached: A German marked ex- Czech bayonet with only a serial number added. (The bayonet in the long view, is either a Czech Army or an early German Waffenamted bayonet made during the occupation). FP
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Bayonet -Fantasy or Real? Division"Maria Theresia"  

pterosapien
    ?

This is no K98 bayonet. I have nearly the exact same bayonet and in 30 minutes of web searches found that it is a German M1884/98. It is a pre-war blade:

Country Page

The WWII versions of the 1884/98 (1884/98 III) have blades longer than 9 inches.

The bayonet is made to fit the 8 mm. Mauser Gewehr 98 Rifle. definitely German but not WWII era.

Like everyone else agrees, its a shame they etched something false into an otherwise valuable, historic Prussian bayonet.

?

Quote by pterosapien View Post
    This is no K98 bayonet. I have nearly the exact same bayonet and in 30 minutes of web searches found that it is a German M1884/98. It is a pre-war blade:

Country Page

The WWII versions of the 1884/98 (1884/98 III) have blades longer than 9 inches.

The bayonet is made to fit the 8 mm. Mauser Gewehr 98 Rifle. definitely German but not WWII era

Like everyone else agrees, its a shame they etched something false into an otherwise valuable, historic Prussian bayonet.
    Hi Pterosapien , welcome to the forum , i hope you will enjoy your time here , you are correct that the full name of this bayonet is the Seitengewehr M1884/98 Third Pattern , or SG.84/98 111 for short . The term K98 which i used is just an abbreviation collectors use to describe this particular bayonet because it was fitted to the Mauser Kar 98k rifle . This bayonet was introduced in 1915 and was to become the standard german bayonet right through to 1945 , with just a couple of minor variations made during that time ( the lengthening of the blade not being one of them ) , have a great christmas ,

cheers Al

3mk
    ?

A original piece ruined
    I understand restoring but making a fantasy item out of a original??

Cuirassier
    ?

Question Re: SS Bayonet -Fantasy or Real? Division"Maria Theresia"

Is this an authentic SS bayonet, I am considering buying it; SS Bayonet

Quote by Cuirassier View Post
    Is this an authentic SS bayonet, I am considering buying it; SS Bayonet
    No

£1000 Worth at least £50.

This is a standard German WW2 bayonet with a totenkopf attached to the frog.

Hope that helps.

Richie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast