MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS Chained Type II with SS Number and initials on the Tang Nut

Article about: Hello Gentlemen, I would appreciate comments and input on this one. As you will see from the photos some of the connectors have been replaced. My biggest concern is whether or not the engrav

Default Re: SS Chained Type II with SS Number and initials on the Tang Nut

why the tang nut? as it is so small and would take more effort to apply the numbering compared to a crossguard hit,,with less effort. Thoughts?-- Larry

Agreed, but then again, why would a faker put it there as well. Wouldn't he want to put it in such a place which is common so that he doesn't cause concern? Then again, trying to figure out these fakers and the third reich is as difficult as understanding women. No one will truly understand any of these majestic things, I've come to the conclusion early on they may not be meant to understand.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Chained Type II with SS Number and initials on the Tang Nut
    P
    Many

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Just a thought,, about Werner Thoms,, as his SS number is incredibly low which would put him within the circle of Hitler and Himmler.
    Thats why Im still stuck with the thought of his low number,,,and his thoughts also
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I now bow down gracefully.

Quote by Larry C View Post
    ...........why the tang nut? as it is so small and would take more effort to apply the numbering compared to a crossguard hit,,with less effort. Thoughts?
    I wondered about that myself, and while it’s a relatively small piece of metal to be worked on, the pommel nut could have been clamped in a smooth jaw vise to be engraved on the top without incurring too much in the way of damage. But how do you put the numbers on the side of the nut, without excessive clamping or damaging the relatively soft bottom side if the item was struck with a hammer and whatever might have been used to create the numbers? So the numbers on the side were probably done first. And then left in a somewhat rough, not quite circular shape if the image posted here is not too far off. Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Chained Type II with SS Number and initials on the Tang Nut  

However it was done, and when - looks period to me - I think these
    initials are a nice 'personalised' touch to this great dagger........
    Regards,

Steve.

I agree-the numbers and initials look period done to me and I can see no reason to doubt them. By adding such things, it doesn't raise the value significantly, so there would be little sense or reason for anyone to do so. I see nothing glaringly wrong with it. I like this piece-it is in excellent shape and the numbers and initials only add abit of character to it. This dagger may well, indeed, have belonged to someone of note-such as Thoms, which only makes it more intriguing.

Just a quick observation about the numbers-they look to be certainly hand engraved-the edges of the numbers are not crisp and sharp edged as in a stamped number. It would, of course, be relatively simple for the owner to have used something such as a pin vice to safely and securely hold it without damaging it and engrave 4 numbers.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I would agree with the “how” as a possibility, and the “when” aspects of the dagger’s marking I think a separate matter. With the seeming non-matching patina of the pommel nut’s circular portion - as contrasted with a significant portion of the pommel nut “flats” (and upper crossguard) indicating a time difference if the bright appearance of the circular/numbered portion is an accurate indicator of what it looks like "in hand". But that’s just my own sense of it from the images that were posted. Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Chained Type II with SS Number and initials on the Tang Nut  

I have nothing to add other than a great thread guys keep it up, love the Info and discussion.
    On my second bag of popcorn now Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

One way to secure something in a vice is to put bronze or brass inserts over the the vice clutches. These inserts will hold a piece without marring it. I know this from once being a machinist. Many times we use these to hold workpieces in place without marring them. Same could go with this particular dagger. Just a thought.

Another thought which I have overlooked and makes total sense is that IMO that since this is a Chained SS,, this particular individual..probably chose to honor its appearance and not "mar" what this dagger represents compared to the standard em33. Instead of what is commonly seen stamped and banged up on SSem daggers...Werner Thoms chose this route to display his number. IMO I still think he could of done a better job at it,, as we have seen the ornate work of the Emil Maurice dagger. https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ss-di...er-2-a-232668/
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast