Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS Chained Type II with SS Number and initials on the Tang Nut

Article about: Hello Gentlemen, I would appreciate comments and input on this one. As you will see from the photos some of the connectors have been replaced. My biggest concern is whether or not the engrav

?

Default Re: SS Chained Type II with SS Number and initials on the Tang Nut

Hi Ed,

i personally like the engraved T W & 1232 number on the tang nut

also i have seen a lot worse stamped numbered SS daggers with crude owners initials scribed onto the crossguards than this one shown, if i had the chance to buy this lovely conditioned Chained SS dagger i would bite the sellers arm off in an instant

Regards Mac 66.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Chained Type II with SS Number and initials on the Tang Nut
    P
    Many

I have a general question:

In the Book The Black Parade the author spoke of how they used their SS daggers in combat. Were they used in combat? Thanks.

Some people still swear that SS daggers were used in combat....and some acknowledge that they may Sometimes have been used to interrogate and/or execute prisoners with, but I've found this to be nonsense. If the Waffens used anything of the sort, it was their bayonets.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I also heard fokelore that for sentimental reasons the SS mann carried this with their personal belongings. Not sure of any truth to it though.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Update: As I later found out, apparently the dagger that is the topic here was started on April 3 on another forum, updated and ran parallel to this one. And some of the participants inclusive of some of those who are in the "TR business" did not reach the same conclusions as the posters here did. With part of my comments to some of those in that thread as follows - which I hope will guide especially new collectors who otherwise might tend to automatically believe what they are told by some authors/dealers/senior collectors (obviously this is on a case by case basis). Or at the least give them a different perspective as they try to sort out fact from fiction from supposedly reliable sources.

"................ arms that were serial numbered by hand or machine. And metal stamps are just stamps no matter what the object is that is being marked - and that includes daggers. And they can be double struck, tilted, one character hit more forcefully than another, flattened by being hit post production with something else (etc.). But under close magnification the bottoms of the characters should be more or less the same for repeated stampings, and the shape/form should be the same.

This kind of information is not rocket science..................... With the example here being a German reissue of a type of bayonet that was used by the W/SS and others having an added serial number. With the “3” and “1” on the solid steel crossguard being more heavily struck than the sheet metal steel scabbard - which makes those markings deeper and slightly changes the size of the outline of the number. And that is because the working part of the metal stamp was designed with an inverted “V” or modified “U” shape. And the harder the hammer blow - the deeper/wider the marking.............."

Regards to all, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Chained Type II with SS Number and initials on the Tang Nut   SS Chained Type II with SS Number and initials on the Tang Nut  

?

I would very much doubt that daggers would have been used in combat.

?

I think the brighter tone difference on the tang nut is easily understood when you think of how many times its been rubbed to see the numbers better.

Quote by Andrew View Post
    I think the brighter tone difference on the tang nut is easily understood when you think of how many times its been rubbed to see the numbers better.
    I would imagine that is a possibility. Although a well aged patina does not rub off that easily, and it usually takes some effort and a little "help" from abrasives or chemicals. With the logical extension of it perhaps being that previous owner(s) also removed the pommel button itself to search for hidden markings? Which might also be why the "flats" on the underside have an uneven patina/no patina appearance?? Using as a point of reference the visual contrast between the "flats" on the underside versus the upper crossguard upon which it sits. Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Chained Type II with SS Number and initials on the Tang Nut 

This still looks hand enhanced as on the last numeral "2" it looks as it has a smear mark made by some kind of bit and the numeral "3" looks very obvious as not a punch made number. The lower leg of the "3".. kind of shoots upward to the left. These are my thoughts in sight ,, but I do not dispell the authenticity of this numbering by the owner...but it was hand done IMO. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I moved the last few posts concerning my observations on the K98 in the photo to this thread in the K98 forum as I feel a separate discussion may ensue and become unrelated to the Chained SS numbered tang nut thread. Here is the link and a continuation of the discussion on the K98 dress bayonet in Combat. https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/k98-b...06/#post861033

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast