Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS dagger

Article about: Hi i'm interested in any information on my pre maker mark ss dagger it's obviously not in perfect condition I'd also like to get an idea as to its approximate value. thank you very much for

?

Thumbs up SS dagger

Hi
    i'm interested in any information on my pre maker mark ss dagger
    it's obviously not in perfect condition
    I'd also like to get an idea as to its approximate value.
    thank you very much for your time and sharing of knowledge!
    Vikki
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS dagger   SS dagger  

SS dagger   SS dagger  

SS dagger   SS dagger  

SS dagger   SS dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS dagger
    P
    Many

Hi Viki, welcome to the forum!

The biggest problem is the condition which will really hold it back, which you are aware of I know. The scabbard has been repainted and the blade re tipped. Along with the chips out of the grip it all knocks the value down.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

damaged but I like it,price no idea.

?

Any idea of the year? What is value of good condition one?

It is not an early one as it is an RZM dagger so post 1934.

Quote by vikki View Post
    Any idea of the year? What is value of good condition one?
    As for price look on here,https://www.lakesidetrader.com/German/WWII/Dagger/SS/ you can see the prices vary quite a lot. No expert but i reckon your dagger would be worth about 15% to 20% of a good one. I'm sure one of the edged weapon experts can tell you more!..

?

Thank you all for your quick replies : )

Ok well the good point is you have the 33' nickel fittings so it was made on the rzm changeover.
    The grip condition I could live with. The blade being shortened and reshaped into a tip is not so good imo.
    The standard of this paint job is not good enough to be original. Could even have been a repainted SA scabbard. The bottom fitting has been off at some point, looking at the line in the paint I would even say changed.
    Price wise you might scrape £500 at an auction on a good day then you'll get 20% to the vendor. Im not usually one for refurbs, but in this condition id be tempted to send it off to wittman to have the grip redone and blade re-tipped. Just except whatever you do it will never be perfect.
    best matty

Hi Vikki..this dagger has seen its better days..but none the less it is a very desirable maker by SS collectors. Mattty..is correct that this dagger was at the beginning of the turning point..of all dagger production being in control of quality standards..thus giving participating producers a control code..or an RZM number. The identity of RZM 121/34 is not known..but for an example....RZM7/66 is the control number belonging to Carl Eickhorn. Certain standards had to be met to comply of keeping the dagger from morphing into another design..or any modifications. What did change was the materials used due to shortages..or being able to afford cheaper metals for their fittings..going from Nickel silver to a pot metal. Pot metal and silver plated fittings..were mostly seen during the mid period ranging from 1936-39..and worse after 1940. gaps in the wood and poorly fitted parts were widley seen..but still the standards of the original shape of the dagger was still maintained. Most collectors prefer the solid crafted examples produced in the early period of 1933-35. Your dagger falls into the early period category...as this 121/ 34 maker was crafted well. The dagger has been opened at one time or another also..and possibly disassembled. Much is going on with the overall condition..which Member Gunny comes close in giving a overall value. If you choose to repair it..it will not put your dagger into a near mint to excellent range..you will put out more in repairs ..which the worth after its repaired will be worth half of what the market offers for a decent SS example. Thanks for bringing your dagger here...and please stay awhile..read through some threads in the SS section. there is also a search engine box at the top right hand corner if you would like to type in any maker or any item of interest..which will lead you to an ongoing thread. Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I will check out the SS section Larry C. Thanks for the info Matty and Larry C. I do not think I will repair and just leave it as is. Vikki : )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast