Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SS Dagger

Article about: I recently found this dagger in a deceased family members belongings and would like some information about it. According to my family it was given to my uncle, an American soldier, in 1946 b

"Reality Check" time. A ranking SS man that was captured and put into a POW camp - was not going there for a manicure and visit to a spa with a lot of guys with guns around it to keep out the Paparazzi. A nice "story" that's just a "story" that completely defies logic and the way things were actually done. Agreeing with the others and their comments. Best Regards, Fred

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Dagger
    P
    Many

Stories often are just fairytales. Within a family told 1,000 times
    and all start to believe after many brandy's or whatever alcoholic
    drinks. I think enough is said. Have no idea about daggers (not
    my field of interest), but "fake" stories I know lots of them!!

SS Dagger

Absolutely agree with Wilhelm. For amusement, I used to do alot of genealogy. I think it was only in One case that family lore and "histories" ever turned out to be actually True. 99 out of 100 recollections invariably turned out to be totally wrong or so garbled up as to be useless. And it doesn't take a Long period of time to do so-sometimes within living memory times, facts get skewed, forgotten or altered. Many times, it is not a case of outright lying,but rather a simple transposing of facts, dates and incidents to produce wholly different memories from those of the incident itself.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi, If you can only go by what you've been told.......
    This site has many of this hobbys respected collectors, no BS here. The experience, the years upon years of seeing and handling the real item, you, sir have found here.
    Accept the truth, total junk.

In my own family, as a kid my mother would tell of a family story that she was told as a child that somewhere in Bohemia- Moravia there had been a castle in the family name. Turns out a mischievous great- great uncle had been making up fairy tales for young nieces and the story had stuck.

So much for the heraldic title I was looking forward to...

MAP
    ?

Quote by CMan0928 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. ...... I wonder why the collector made an offer for something that's "worthless" according to the members here? Either way, looks like a dud. Bummer! No big deal. Thanks again, everyone.
    I would like to applaud your attitude. Not very often that bad (but true) news is delivered and taken so well. Yes, it's a bummer but better to know than not!

As far as the "collector" offering you that much. He obviously is not a true enthusiast that studies these material. Or he is an unscrupulous person trying to "flip" it for much more. But if so, I doubt he would have gambled offering you that much.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thread reminds me of the Hitler Youth Repro I bought as a kid in the 60s. Did not know at the time they were a reproduction of a famous knife. Came with a metal scabbard sans the swastika on handle of course. Pretty well built and probably cost me around $3 or $4 back then. Just goes to show how many years these items such as knives have been reproduced. Sure can be a hot bed for a novice collector today!!

Quote by MAP View Post
    I would like to applaud your attitude. Not very often that bad (but true) news is delivered and taken so well. Yes, it's a bummer but better to know than not!

As far as the "collector" offering you that much. He obviously is not a true enthusiast that studies these material. Or he is an unscrupulous person trying to "flip" it for much more. But if so, I doubt he would have gambled offering you that much.
    Thanks for the kind words. I came here seeking answers and I got them, so I'm appreciative of those that let me know what the deal really is. My uncle never spoke of this dagger to me when he was alive, and I can only go on the hearsay of my remaining family members since he is no longer alive to verify the story himself. He was a good man and a straight shooter, so perhaps that's why he never mentioned it me personally as being genuine. When I was shown this the other day I didn't see dollar signs (it's not mine to sell anyways), but perhaps a really cool piece of history. Now after being told it's a dud I wouldn't sell it to someone gullible and take advantage regardless of what they were offering. That's not my style. After speaking to my aunt apparently she found other stuff among his possessions recently such as some type of WW2 era phone as well as original photographs of which I don't know the details of. But after this dagger incident I won't vouch till I see them personally and verify them through someone far more knowledgable on the subject than myself.

?

Quote by CMan0928 View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. I came here seeking answers and I got them, so I'm appreciative of those that let me know what the deal really is. My uncle never spoke of this dagger to me when he was alive, and I can only go on the hearsay of my remaining family members since he is no longer alive to verify the story himself. He was a good man and a straight shooter, so perhaps that's why he never mentioned it me personally as being genuine. When I was shown this the other day I didn't see dollar signs (it's not mine to sell anyways), but perhaps a really cool piece of history. Now after being told it's a dud I wouldn't sell it to someone gullible and take advantage regardless of what they were offering. That's not my style. After speaking to my aunt apparently she found other stuff among his possessions recently such as some type of WW2 era phone as well as original photographs of which I don't know the details of. But after this dagger incident I won't vouch till I see them personally and verify them through someone far more knowledgable on the subject than myself.
    Cman,

I do applaud your attitude and taking the responses from us all as with the intent to protect you & give you straight talk. You did not get defensive and try to posture which takes some real gonads. It is a group that has seen and heard so many trumped up stories and bad behavior from a select few. We hope you stay a member and have the interest to post the other items you mention. I know the feeling of finding something unique & you think it could have big promise, the lore of a story & be amazing and then to find out it is a dud. Every person on here if honest has been there in their collecting career. Junk on the bunk is what makes us all sharper at days end. Iron sharpens Iron! Good Luck!
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rossi View Post

Every person on here if honest has been there in their collecting career. Junk on the bunk is what makes us all sharper at days end.....
    One day, I have to pull out my "junk on the bunk" draw and take pictures of all the fake awards I have bought over the years.......... :-)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast