Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SS dagger(Emil schmitz?)

Article about: hey guys, I am purchasing these two SS daggers from a seller who found them in the addict. They look all period to me, can`t spot the flaws on this one(hope i am right this time). The blades

Thanks!! Than i think i wont buy them. The seller does not want to drop and when explain to him that you guys know what you are talking about, aswel as explaining what is wrong he says: i wasn`t there so we can`t know for sure. This is the average kind of people, the kind that thinks they know it all. Unfortunately he doesn`t need money either. Thanks again for the help and the great info!!
    i know what you mean. You have to fall in love with it, it is not just the price tag or the condition.

Rergards, Job

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS dagger(Emil schmitz?)
    P
    Many

This thread is still open and hopefully to reveal the answer to why the SS number was stamped over a prexisting number.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Yes, it still is. I will ask for the info that his cousin collected. It has some background info.

as promised the info:

SS dagger(Emil schmitz?)SS dagger(Emil schmitz?)SS dagger(Emil schmitz?)

still waiting for pictures of Emil!!

regards, Job

Interesting Information..with Emil Schmitz first SS date being 10/34.....4 months after the Rohm purge. This dagger may have had ( IMO ) a previous owner which would explain the previous SS numbers beneath the existing ones.

Another thought also being is that this daggers original owner..was partaking in pre Anschluss activities in Austria in 1933.
    Below is my Ed Wustof Ground Rohm "Oe" Gruppe marked dagger for the SA gruppe in Austria ( Ostereich ) in those early days before the 1938 Anschluss.

SS dagger(Emil schmitz?)

The numbers seen are stamped over a preexisting SA number which the numbers sit on top of the depressed area where the numbers themselves were ground down.
    This leads me to think of one of 2 scenarios for the Emil Schmitz dagger...One being in the SS and involved in illegal activites in Austria along side the SA....the Other..the dagger was returned for unknown reasons, the number was ground down and reissued to Emil Schmitz. 2 possibilities but not concrete fact. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

What I also think to see on the lower guard of the Eickhorn, is a restamped districtmark.
    A 'II' over a 'I'... interesting. Never saw it. Maybe an error in the fabric...

SS dagger(Emil schmitz?)
    Last edited by KRISSE; 07-22-2015 at 11:00 AM.

Hi Krisse great observation..but I have to disagree ...there are many SS and SA daggers ( Not all but most ) that have what appears to have lighter stamped letter..and then a heavier stamp.
    This occurs when the stamping die is to find its mark..and the hammer lightly taps the head of the stamp to find its mark..which in 99% of the time..tends to jump out of position..before the 2nd strike makes the final impression. That SS district mark is correct ..and may have appeared to look like a Roman Numeral I.
    Once these daggers were district stamped..that was the end of it..and it would never again be struck twice. I have never encountered a 2nd stamping as these daggers went through a district check point first.
    A great question and observation

Regards Larry

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Krisse great observation..but I have to disagree ...there are many SS and SA daggers ( Not all but most ) that have what appears to have lighter stamped letter..and then a heavier stamp.
    This occurs when the stamping die is to find its mark..and the hammer lightly taps the head of the stamp to find its mark..which in 99% of the time..tends to jump out of position..before the 2nd strike makes the final impression. That SS district mark is correct ..and may have appeared to look like a Roman Numeral I.
    Once these daggers were district stamped..that was the end of it..and it would never again be struck twice. I have never encountered a 2nd stamping as these daggers went through a district check point first.
    A great question and observation

Regards Larry
    Having hand stamped lots of machine parts i can back Larry on his thinking here!! Pretty hard not to have some other marking besides the final impression when hand stamping.

Steve

?

i'm offered these ones myself, 5000 euro's for two daggers? That would include me making some hard choises, he is selling them sepperatly. i asked him to keep the whole lot including any documentations, reisepapieren, photographs and ansichtkarte together. it would be a terrible waste if it was sold and split up.

the victor writes the history, so if there's documentation etc with these daggers i think it should be sold as one lot.

Hi Axium..if you can get some photos and start a separate thread for each of them..would be beneficial for a separate study..and will be able to help answer some questions. Regards Larry

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast