Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS dagger Gustav Spitzer - real or fake ?

Article about: Hi guys, I wouldl like to ask you for help with this dagger. Is it original one or fake ? I tried to find similar on net but I did not find one like this with early maker mark. Maybe it is f

?

Default SS dagger Gustav Spitzer - real or fake ?

Hi guys,
    I wouldl like to ask you for help with this dagger. Is it original one or fake ? I tried to find similar on net but I did not find one like this with early maker mark. Maybe it is first sign it is not good one but I really do not know. If it is early dagger the cross guard should be marked with number and it is not. But cross guards are marked from inside. The tang is marked with A5 but again I was not successfull to find similar. Any opinion is welcome. I hope the pictures are good.
    Mike

SS dagger Gustav Spitzer - real or fake ?SS dagger Gustav Spitzer - real or fake ?SS dagger Gustav Spitzer - real or fake ?SS dagger Gustav Spitzer - real or fake ?SS dagger Gustav Spitzer - real or fake ?SS dagger Gustav Spitzer - real or fake ?SS dagger Gustav Spitzer - real or fake ?SS dagger Gustav Spitzer - real or fake ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS dagger Gustav Spitzer - real or fake ?
    P
    Many

Not a known SS producer.
    crossguards are generic so any producer could of used them.
    Scabbard fittings have been replaced with plated types.

Tang marking is if I remember correctly a Ernst Pack Foundry mark. Pack did produce blanks for other producers.
    The grip has been added also to the dagger and guards.

Provide extreme closeups for the community here of both the logo and Motto ..if you can not and these are the only photos this thread will be useless.

Dont waste your time with this dagger.
    Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hello. I cannot say for certain about the blade. However the grip has definitely been messed with, certainly repainted and fits the guards poorly. Your observation would be correct that the lower guard should be gruppe marked. The logo itself differs (from what I can tell) compared to makers logo shown on German daggers dot com. The lions head s shape and the almost perfect circle surrounding it on your example are noticeably different than their posted example. At Best IMO a parted together dagger at worst and outright fabrication. Kindest regards.

Brian

SS dagger Gustav Spitzer - real or fake ?SS dagger Gustav Spitzer - real or fake ?

?

Larry Lakeside sold RZM M7/80 1197/39 SS Dagger | Lakesidetrader this one. It is a Spitzer RZM, so is it that they didn't do blades before RZM?

?

The whole dagger is fake. Blade, grip, gripinsignia.
    It's very clear that the inscription is laser etched.
    Also very clear fake SS button. Even the eagle is fake imo.
    Gustav Spitzer didn't made daggers in the first (early) period.

Quote by M.E.E. View Post
    Larry Lakeside sold RZM M7/80 1197/39 SS Dagger | Lakesidetrader this one. It is a Spitzer RZM, so is it that they didn't do blades before RZM?
    Hi M.E.E....you have done your homework and yes Spitzer did producer under an SS contract number and ...No they did not producer early period SS daggers.

Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Another real, Spitzer, RZM SS blade.
    Ralph.

Last edited by rbminis; 11-07-2018 at 05:40 AM.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi M.E.E....you have done your homework and yes Spitzer did producer under an SS contract number and ...No they did not producer early period SS daggers.

Best Larry
    Thanks Larry for the clarification and information. I love the look of Spitzer's daggers so when I ran into the RZM one I was just curious. Is there many other makers that got RZM contracts but not early blades? I hope to add a Spitzer Heer someday to my collection.

Pinned thread > RZM M7 Makers Code List - Plus SS Dienstdolch Contract Codes

Scroll to the bottom and you will see the contract codes

Another pinned thread to compare to showing the early SS producers .
    SS 1933 pattern Dienstdolch distribution markings & Early producers

?

Hi guys,
    thank all of you for help. I tried to receive more pictures, but the owner (when I said your findings to him) refused to talk to me anymore. Next time I will first ask for more detailed pictures and then I will tell him about the "originality".
    Mike