Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

SS dagger help

Article about: Hi all, First post here. Been a collector of ww2 military items ranging from helmets to uniforms and propaganda posters. My latest acquisition is what brought me to this amazing forum. My un

Default SS dagger help

Hi all,

First post here. Been a collector of ww2 military items ranging from helmets to uniforms and propaganda posters. My latest acquisition is what brought me to this amazing forum.

My uncle gave me a 120/35 SS dagger that he acquired from a ww2 vet many many many years ago. It is definitely not a show piece. the bottom crossguard is loose, the pummel nut appears to be untouched and is very tight.The eagle is lifting from the bottom and of course the blade is very rusty. But from what I can tell, this knife all matches and is consistent with being all original. It also has the four word phrase etched into the blade.

I'm looking for advice on the knife as far as trying to clean it up. I know I can't expect a show sign here, but is there thing I can do to clean the blade and nickel guards up? A google search mentioned soaking the blade in vinegar, but I don't want to destroy the knife. I'm open to your more experienced ideas, as I don't want the knife to further deteriorate. Any idea what a knife in this shape is worth? Not that I want to sell it, but any idea would be nice. There is no scabbard unfortunately.

I appreciate your time and looking forward to using this great forum.

SS dagger help
    SS dagger help
    SS dagger help
    SS dagger help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS dagger help
    P
    Many

Hello PMNJ..welcome to the forum . I would say you have an RZM 120/34 SS. I never seen seen a 1935 year on the 120 producer series.

The value on a good condition example would be in the $4K range. We do not give out valuations ..but comparison with current market values are a good rule of thumb.for good conditioned daggers.

I can not place a value on an example such as this with the blade in this rancid condition. The blade is real cause and value why these prices are in the thousands range and also because they are SS.

The grip appears to be original but due to the poor crossgusrd fit ...I would say it is not original to the dagger. Just my thoughts and not one I would put in my collection.

As far as preservation and restoration ..not sure anything will help that blade ..but wait for other thoughts ..as what has happened to the blade...over the years its No longer topical. Its ingrained into the steel. No vinager Wait for other thoughts and comments. Can fix the pitting seen in the steel. It would be best to just leave it as is.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry appreciate your time. I thought my lack of responses was due to asking for value. I wasn't asking in dollars, but whether it was worth the effort to try and prevent further deterioration. I agree the knife did not receive the care that it deserved and may just be a lost cause. At this point, my uncle and I had a great conversation over the knife as he shared a story on how he acquired it and upon receipt we went crazy on google looking whatever info we could. I have been collecting a long time, and sometimes get caught up in the high dollar, scarce items, but rarely does it involve someone other than myself as far as sharing or appreciating it. So that was great.

Again, thank you for your time and if anyone else has anything to add, it would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great New Years!

Lack of response mostly the holiday season. No worries happy New Year

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry said it all. I also would leave it as it is, it's a war souvenir.
    Regards and happy new year to all!
    Gerd

Happy New Year Gerd