Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS Dagger, a nice starter piece ?

Article about: by KradSpam I'm just learning with these, is it OK to see the solid unplated fittings on an RZM model? I agree with this, be careful, it might be a parts dagger? The "I" numeral on

Default Re: SS Dagger, a nice starter piece ?

This looks like a Transition Period from the 1936-37 era. Unfortunately, the blade is in fairly sad shape and the sheath is quite likely repainted, from what we can see in the photos. There looks to be significant wood working disturbance around both the grip eagle and the runes roundel. This means that it's either a parts piece or it's been deliberately messed with to fool collectors into thinking it's an original. I'd seriously advise passing on it, Nick. it's cheap-true, but even at the price, I wouldn't consider it worth it. It was in all likelihood never an issued and carried piece in it's present incarnation. And, for me, at least, No History=No Value.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Dagger, a nice starter piece ?
    P
    Many

Save your money for a nicer one Nick! Like everyone tells me.....be patient and wait it out!! LOL.

Good advice guys, thankyou

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Here are some better pics (I hope)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Dagger, a nice starter piece ?   SS Dagger, a nice starter piece ?  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

William

The camp is split on all forums. Some say its put together , some say original

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Dagger, a nice starter piece ?   SS Dagger, a nice starter piece ?  

SS Dagger, a nice starter piece ?   SS Dagger, a nice starter piece ?  

There's black paint on the upper sheath fitting and so is a definite repaint. The grip eagle is a mangled mess-as is the runes roundel. They've obviously been dug out and replaced. The wood grip does not fit into the lower guard much at all and neither does the top guard- this alone is usually a reason for giving it the thumbs down. The etching on the blade does Not look well at all and the whole blade has been abrasively scrubbed down and abused-if it even Was a genuine blade at one time, which is questionable. This dagger is, in my opinion, a put together mess and not worth the postage to have it sent to you.
    William

?

Naw man, I still say no good. The only word for that eagle and the wood around it is "gouged". A put together will always bum you out, and you'll be passing it along within 6-12 months. I say find one that you LOVE and do layaway, you're only getting one right?!

?

To be honest Nick, would you risk $900 on something that might or might not be what ever it's supposed to be or spend a bit more on something that definitely is what it is supposed to be?

It sounds attractive and at a good price, it doesn't look pretty though, would you genuinely be happy to own it?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    To be honest Nick, would you risk $900 on something that might or might not be what ever it's supposed to be or spend a bit more on something that definitely is what it is supposed to be?

It sounds attractive and at a good price, it doesn't look pretty though, would you genuinely be happy to own it?
    I know what you mean Adrian, but I will never pay more for an SS dagger though despite one being in better condition. This one just looked an opportunity to have an original piece of SS history at an affordable price.
    That said it has been really useful and educating listening to the guys opinions here!

Nick

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast