Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS Degen for comment

Article about: I would like to hear some opinions on thise sword, obtained from a old collection that have been brought up for sale recently. I am waiting to hear wich details you want so see better pictur

Default Re: SS Degen for comment

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Nice challenge,,On page 513 of Wttmanns SS book,, it shows the honor degen belonging to Martin Bormann, also having the 12 sections to the grip. Runes placement IMO depended upon the maker as we sometimes see this on SS/SS daggers runes and placement of the grip eagle. Larry
    Also Karl Wolfe,, Himmlers Adjutant also had a 12 segmented grip.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Degen for comment
    P
    Many

I Believe that these swords were pretty much individually made for a specific person. If that person had a larger hand, then the grip would have 13 strands. Smaller hands-smaller grips. The same as blade lengths. The Degen originally posted looks to be an excellent and original Alcoso piece in great condition.
    Last edited by Wagriff; 12-12-2012 at 04:07 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by stuka f View Post
    I would like to hear some opinions on thise sword, obtained from a old collection that have been brought up for sale recently. I am waiting to hear wich details you want so see better pictures of.
    As has been seen from time to time, old collections are not always a guarantee of originality. So in answer to the question that was asked, I think that I would have started with the grip which is really what sets it apart from other Degens. With a cracked grip, and Sigrunen that seem in the image to have a slight backwards tilt. And of course the area that is underneath the emblem that's all chewed up for some reason. FP
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Degen for comment  

Hi FP. Thanks for doing that enlargement to the pic. You are always good at that.

Not liking that at all now. Converted Police sword springs to mind.....

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The devil is always in the detail! Good eyes there FP!

Removed from classifieds therefor!
    cheers
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Agreed
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."