Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for review

Article about: Other than the grip being a little beat up,, IMO........it looks good,, and Hammesfahr daggers are widely faked!!. This one looks good. Cool double "D" ring hanger.. rare to see. I

?

Default SS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for review

Hi guys, I found this on the Estand and wanted to get your opinions.
    The scabbard and nickel fittings seem to match in the right age range, but I wanted to make sure that the grip and it's fit looked original. Obviously the blade has serious issues, but I love a piece with character.
    Eddie

SS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for reviewSS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for reviewSS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for reviewSS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for reviewSS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for reviewSS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for reviewSS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for reviewSS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for reviewSS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for reviewSS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for reviewSS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for reviewSS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for review

Edit:
    I just noticed that the Runes are straight up and down, rather than slightly tilted, unless this is usual for this maker I would assume that the Adler and Runes were replaced? Are the Runes and Adler real replacements?
    Last edited by Eddie; 02-24-2012 at 07:14 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for review
    P
    Many

Default re: SS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for review

The crossguard look so much better than the blade, could it be that it's differente parts?
    Like a part dagger?

It's NICE!

?

Hmm, I think that's what it is. The crossguards are made of nickel and the blade is made of something else. Yeah, I'd like to figure out if it's a parts dagger.
    Thanks for the reply Normandie.

?

My novice research tells me that the wear on the handle and scabbard, though excessive, is normal for this early kind of dagger and maker, and there is a very similar piece on the ruptured duck, where the eagle is described as being a "high neck variety", and the width of the thin parts of the script of the motto match the width on this dagger. The Runic button differs however, which might make it a replacement. I'm not sure though, and I have spied other examples on the web with the Runic button facing at 12:00 like this rather than 12:30. Any thoughts? Rough from misuse, yes, original? I'm thinking so, but I'd really like some more experienced opinions.
    Thank you,
    Eddie

Look's good IMO =)

Here is my 4 cents!! Doomtown has pretty much nailed it as this is a parts dagger but all early parts. I am used to seeing these type of crossguards as a matching pair ( upper and lower marked "St",, but not a problem. it is normal to see runes button at the "6 oclock postion" ( straight up and down ) and will vary as far as 8 oclock ( bottom of runes button turned to that position) The overall condition is worn but all matching. The cool thing about Nickel silver crossguards is that they dont deteriorate like the Late style crossguards,, due to the junk metal they used at the end of the war. You have sharp eyes Doomtown as the Runes button is a replacement and attached is a Klass type runes button ( see photo). In my opinion,, I am 90% sure the grip is not an SS grip but an SA grip stained black. which would explain all the pick marks around the eagle and runes button. early SS grips when worn down do not have brown showing through it. Upper scabbard fitting is missing a screw,, no big deal,, alot of daggers have missing screws. Just as long as you like it Doomtown thats all that matters. You have sharp eyes. Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for review  

?

Hi larry, thanks for the response!
    I have to say that the "parts dagger" aspect is troubling to me. I'd really like to own an early example of an SS dagger, which this sort of is, but the whole grip is from something else, and the point of these daggers was that they were handmade, and the grips are supposed to fit very nicely with the crossguards, etc. I don't own a German dagger yet, and I've thought about buying an NSKK dagger, and I found a nice ground Rohm from Silesia, but I have to admit that the all black dagger is just so awesome! No disrespect to the NSKK or the SA, but I think I won't be really satisfied with anything but an SS dagger. I found another piece which is about $1000 more dollars than this one that has the vertical hanger and seems to be not a parts dagger. I guess I have to really think about what excites me about these daggers in the first place and it's that these were once owned by a particular person in a very important time period, and the "parts dagger" aspect messes with that. Thanks for reaffirming my eye on these things, because there's so much that I don't know yet, so I truly appreciate the compliment.
    Best,
    Eddie

Hello Eddie, Could you post pics of the more pricey dagger? This posted one is a terrible mess, and quite frankly, I wouldn't recommend it at all.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hi William,
    This one is $1,800 and I believe it's a desirable maker.

SS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for reviewSS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for reviewSS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for review

?

The cross guards look different, not sure if they are different cross guards or just the guy who cleaned this dagger so vigorously got bored/lazy and didn't finish the top cross guard.

More:

SS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for reviewSS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for reviewSS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for reviewSS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for reviewSS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for reviewSS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for reviewSS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for review

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast