Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

SS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for review

Article about: Other than the grip being a little beat up,, IMO........it looks good,, and Hammesfahr daggers are widely faked!!. This one looks good. Cool double "D" ring hanger.. rare to see. I

Default re: SS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for review

Just a couple thoughts here. My 1st impression is that that grip looks red???? Perhaps just the lighting.
    Ade, you mention the ebony grips. IMHO very few of these SS grips were made of ebony. Ebony is grown in Africa and I believe little of it was available for dagger production. Most of these grips are made of hardwood that was boiled in anoline dye to color it black. I believe that this process has made the grips fragile and prone to cracks and chipping.... That and the fact that it seems everyone and his uncle is disassembling these every second Friday...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS M33 Dienstdolch by Robert Klass for review
    P
    Many

It might be worth a 1400 bid,or maybe 1500....depending on how bad you want it and how well you can stand the damaged grip, of course. I certainly wouldn't go over 1500, though, I know-but that's just me. However, I have no clue as to what a restoration of the grip would cost if such a thing would want to be done.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Paul, do you mean the first dagger? That one for sure seems rather red! It was also judged to be an SA dagger grip dyed black because of all of the scrapings around the eagle and rune button, not to mention the red color. Is it ever possible that an SS grip would show a bit of brown wood just from wear, or is this only a feature of dyed SA grips?
    Thanks,
    Eddie

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    It might be worth a 1400 bid,or maybe 1500....depending on how bad you want it and how well you can stand the damaged grip, of course. I certainly wouldn't go over 1500, though, I know-but that's just me. However, I have no clue as to what a restoration of the grip would cost if such a thing would want to be done.
    I think I'd probably leave it as is if I was to buy it, without trying to restore it. I think $1500 is a better price too, lets see what he says...

?

Gosh, I dunno, I keep thinking about it, and I do think the grip would bother me. Thanks for keeping on pointing that out William. I think I might start with a nice NSKK dagger and see how that treats me, if I don't find it satisfactory then I can always save up, there will always be SS daggers and I shouldn't rush... Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read through these, I've learned a ton just through this thread and I appreciate it.

Some people could live with it, but I'm not one of them-never was. But hey, some people love Relics too, but that's their thing. Me? I want things to Look the way they did back Then-or at least pretty close,anyway. Like you said, SS's are around-if you save abit more and wait for the right one, it Will come around. They always do. And, the NSKK's are damn cool too, in any case! Remember the old saying-you get what you pay for. Always go for quality-not quantity!
    Last edited by Wagriff; 02-29-2012 at 11:08 PM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3