Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Officer Dress Sword

Article about: I just received this sword in replacement for two fake helmets (posted in ss section) that were sold to me 4 years ago. I hoping this isn't fake too and would like opinions on it's authentic

Default SS Officer Dress Sword

I just received this sword in replacement for two fake helmets (posted in ss section) that were sold to me 4 years ago.
    I hoping this isn't fake too and would like opinions on it's authenticity . The owner told me it was a rare double stamped Hermrath. I would also like a ball park value if possible.
    Thanks Allan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Officer Dress Sword   SS Officer Dress Sword  

SS Officer Dress Sword   SS Officer Dress Sword  

SS Officer Dress Sword   SS Officer Dress Sword  

SS Officer Dress Sword  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Officer Dress Sword
    P
    Many

Hi Allan..a great start would be this incomparable forum search engine..like i have never seen on any other forum..that just pulls an old thread out of the depths..with just a few keywords. Have you tried this ?

SS Officer Dress Sword
    .................................................. ..................................................

Then from this awesome search engine..which requires very little exertion..this thread link below came up..soley dedicated to the Herman Rath SS Degen

Lets see your photos of Herm,Rath marked swords

We try to encourage our members here to try doing a little leg work..but the search engine does most of it

As Far as evaluation ..this is a service that this forum was not created for..but by the content of the thread link above....created for discussion which may lead to a Value. To many people come here and ask with their hands out..and never returning.

You would like a ball park value ? ..it would be best to search the larger dealers as there are a few of the Rath degens to be found there..and ballpark pricing.

I hope the thread link that I found for you..will suffice in answering any concerns you may have. Other opinions welcome on the above sword posted

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hermann Rath certainly marketed the Police degen. Examples are encountered both with and without the SS runes incorporated in the Rath TM stamping. However, an SS Officer degen by Hermann Rath is not often seen. E.g., a survey of Tom Wittmann's printed sales lists from 1986 to cease of publication in 2003 gave a grand total of 135 SS degens (officer/NCO/"candidate") of which only two had the Hermann Rath TM, both were the so called "Candidate" degen.
    The majority of the 135 SS degens offered by TTW in the period of the survey were either by P D Krebs, no maker, Dachau PMD. I consider the survey result statistically significant. Rath may have had RFSS aproval to market the SS Fuhrerdegen, but I doubt it and an example would not be for my collection. Jmho.

The website that wants to see your photos is a fine idea but how do I put my photos there?

Quote by Gastvrijheid View Post
    Hermann Rath certainly marketed the Police degen. Examples are encountered both with and without the SS runes incorporated in the Rath TM stamping. However, an SS Officer degen by Hermann Rath is not often seen. E.g., a survey of Tom Wittmann's printed sales lists from 1986 to cease of publication in 2003 gave a grand total of 135 SS degens (officer/NCO/"candidate") of which only two had the Hermann Rath TM, both were the so called "Candidate" degen.
    The majority of the 135 SS degens offered by TTW in the period of the survey were either by P D Krebs, no maker, Dachau PMD. I consider the survey result statistically significant. Rath may have had RFSS aproval to market the SS Fuhrerdegen, but I doubt it and an example would not be for my collection. Jmho.
    In agreement with the above it would not be one for me either - with an attached image of what looks to me like an ill-fitting (IMO) grip emblem, and maybe something else going on. With as an aside from this sword, some guys I know not wanting to have anything to do with conventional Degens that have Müller’s name attached to them (other than of course the “Birthday Degens”). Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Officer Dress Sword  

Hi Alan..check out this link which should guide you into uploading photos onto this site. I do ask you..that you not upload photos from photo hosting sites such as photobucket or any other hosts. They are notorious of removing your photos without notice from your account..which in effect..remove them from this website.

I hope you have the photos you want to post ..that are already within your computer library. Looking forward to them..take your time. Regards Larry

New picture posting feature - How to guide !
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I don't like it at all, if you ask me its parts some original some replica.

The grip runes are postioned in the higher 'muller' postion but this is by Herman Rath?
    The runes look the wrong colour and not sharp enough. (I have enclosed picture of what they should look like).
    Hermann rath didn't even make SS degens to my knowledge, I most certainly wouldn't by one without checking anyway.
    The D guard hasn't got the SS rune underneath - has the scabbard throat?
    The grip assembly appears to be that of a Dachau descent, but the blades wrong, the scabbard is wrong as it should have headless screws and be the nice thin type body.

If you can find a nice marked PMD sword they are the Dachau swords to have, or if you can find a nice early Krebs again yes. Crossbreeds like this are a waste of time - stick to either one or the other.

rgds matty

SS Officer Dress Sword