Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS Officers Chained Dagger. Opinions please

Article about: Hi, I would like your opinions on this dagger please before I buy it. thanks

Default Re: SS Officers Chained Dagger. Opinions please

I would share the concerns re the eagle and the runic button.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Officers Chained Dagger. Opinions please
    P
    Many

Hi, thanks for your comments guys. Does anyone know of a different size font on SS daggers?? the font on this one is smaller font to what I have seen on other SS daggers, I would like to know if one maker used a different style of font at all ??? Cheers

Hi Yorksman...The SS producers all used their own templates when applying the etch to the blade,,and yes you are correct as they do have subtle differences. From fat to thin,,to the slight style in the script if one takes notice of certain letters. These differences helps the collector readily identify the maker by their style. A keen eye and comparison will make it quick for the SS collector to know the maker by memory. SA producers are the same way also. regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks Larry, do you have any SS daggers with different fonts in your own collection ?? as you know people have different opinions on German items. So I take it not only RZM where making the SS blades with all the same font style?? Thanks

I cant see anything wrong with the dagger only what the other guys have posted about the grip eagle, great dagger (i wouldnt mind it )
    cheers Ronnie

Hi Yorksman,, here are 3 Tom Wittmann examples of early SS motto types. #1 is Boker..#2-3 is Rzm120/34...#4 is Robert Klaas. You can see the differences in height, width and script style. If these mottos are seen in hand,,then much more can be seen in minute detail. Photos are ok,,but in hand is the best view.
    What are your thoughts on "different opinions" that others may have on German items.
    Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Officers Chained Dagger. Opinions please   SS Officers Chained Dagger. Opinions please  

SS Officers Chained Dagger. Opinions please   SS Officers Chained Dagger. Opinions please  

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by yorksman View Post
    Thanks Larry, do you have any SS daggers with different fonts in your own collection ?? as you know people have different opinions on German items. So I take it not only RZM where making the SS blades with all the same font style?? Thanks
    I guess I'm not reading this right, but RZM was not an actual company that made daggers, but was simply a code system for the makers to use rather than etch their logos onto the blades. There was, of course, many different companies that made these daggers, and as Larry has said, there are, naturally, any number of small differences in the fonts they used. There was no "Master Stencil" or anything that was sent to each of the manufacturers to use-they made their own. As far as this particular dagger goes, as has also been said, it is a good authentic piece who's grip eagle may have loosened and been replaced during or perhaps even after the war. Not an uncommon occurrence.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I will also add that your font is a know original on unmarked blades.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2