Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS officer's sword. Is it real?

Article about: Good afternoon. Long time lurker brand new member here. I purchase a lot of my collection at auctions and the following item will be coming up at an auction house were I have purchased quite

Default SS officer's sword. Is it real?

Good afternoon. Long time lurker brand new member here. I purchase a lot of my collection at auctions and the following item will be coming up at an auction house were I have purchased quite a few Veteran bringback items. I only have a broad base knowledge of militaria (I specialize in firearms) so I am wondering what the community thinks about this SS officer's sword. Is it real? Unfortunately these are the only pics I have. If it is highly possible that it is original what should I look for to confirm this that cannot be seen in the pics. SS officer's sword. Is it real?SS officer's sword. Is it real?

Thank You in Advance!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS officer's sword. Is it real?
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS officer's sword. Is it real?

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

From the limited images so far, I think this stands a good chance.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

SS officer's sword. Is it real? This knight's cross of the iron cross award document will also be there.

?

Quote by milcollector84 View Post
    SS officer's sword. Is it real? This knight's cross of the iron cross award document will also be there.
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

Please post the Ritterkreuz Urkunde in the TR Paperwork forum, are there any more images of it?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi Milco Be cautious with limited photos,,as i have just a small doubt,, which could be nothing at all,, but it is necessary to contact the auctioneer to forward you more pics if possible........my concern is the Oakleaves roundel at the bottom of the crossguard...I have seen varied makers having the tips of the oak leaves touching the first lower rib of the grip and then some almost 1/4 inch away from the first rib.....this example has the Oakleaf roundel further away than normal,, but as we dont know who the maker is,, we can not compare it to other swords of the same distance.
    Again just an observation,,but more pics would be best before you begin to bid. As Ade says it stands a good chance,, but photos are the best judge. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Ade
    Thank You for the quick response. Are there any specific makers marks on these swords or other features that are on the originals and not the fakes like the SS acceptance stamp?

Matt

There are a few more pix. I put them in a post in the third reich paperwork forum. Thank you for the help.

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Milco Be cautious with limited photos,,as i have just a small doubt,, which could be nothing at all,, but it is necessary to contact the auctioneer to forward you more pics if possible........my concern is the Oakleaves roundel at the bottom of the crossguard...I have seen varied makers having the tips of the oak leaves touching the first lower rib of the grip and then some almost 1/4 inch away from the first rib.....this example has the Oakleaf roundel further away than normal,, but as we dont know who the maker is,, we can not compare it to other swords of the same distance.
    Again just an observation,,but more pics would be best before you begin to bid. As Ade says it stands a good chance,, but photos are the best judge. Regards Larry
    I contacted the auctioneer who called the consigner. He says it has no makers mark but that it was purchased from a dealer. Does the quality of the oak leaf detail compare to originals? so far the ones I've seen have a smoother texture to the leaves.

Hi Milco,,It is hard to judge from the photos provided for the oak leafs have various makers and had slight differences in enhancing. On this sword there should at least have the Kulturzeichen ( double SS rune ) underneath the crossguard and on top of the scabbard throat opening. I know there are unmarked makers on these swords but the double runes not present has me cautious. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I passed on the sword. there were no ss runes on the sword or scabbard. It appeared to have the age and quality manufacture but without the marks I wasn't comfortable with it.
    Thanks for the help