MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS Rohm daggers

Article about: Hello fellas A question to ask. Since daggers are not my "thing"...was wondering the reason for a Rohm inscribed blade on an early SS dagger ? What did the SS have to do with the l

Will take a guess at Wim's circular that it is a document proposing the SS independence in July 1934 from the NSDAP ? I do not read German, but I tried.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Rohm daggers
    P
    Many

Quote by real steel View Post
    Hi Friedrich
    No leg pulling. Was on a well respected dagger website recently where I saw the SS daggers (a couple of them) with ground Rohm inscriptions. So I know they are legitimate. Just was sort of puzzling to me, as it has been for a long time, so figured I would ask here.

Thanks again for your input & answering my question.

Thanks for your thanks. I am didactic to a fault, but you are riding my hobby horse, which Wim makes all the more splendid, namely the use of primary sources
    to unravel the twists and turns of the rise of the NSDAP and its violent organizations. This topic is one I teach and have done so for many years at an advanced level.
    The research on all of this is a constant theme of my own scholarly interest.....SS Rohm daggersSS Rohm daggersSS Rohm daggersSS Rohm daggersSS Rohm daggersSS Rohm daggersSS Rohm daggersSS Rohm daggersSS Rohm daggers

Will look into the Himmler Bio. I did read one on him a few years ago.

Will look into the Himmler Bio. I did read one on him a few years ago.
    Do find the Longerich one. There are others, but they are highly defective. Longerich is a pro.

Will take a guess at Wim's circular that it is a document proposing the SS independence in July 1934 from the NSDAP ? I do not read German, but I tried.
    It says:

"Der Führer

4/34

In the light of the great merits of the S.S., particularly relating to the events of 30 June*, I elevate it to an independent organisation within the framework of the N.S.D.A.P.
    Thus, the
    Reichsführer of the S.S., like the Chef des Stabes, is directly subordinate to the Oberster S.A. Führer**. Both the Chef des Stabes and the Reichsführer-S.S. hold the Party rank of Reichsleiter****).

Munich, 20 July 1934.

Adolf Hitler
    "

*) i.e. the "Night of the Long Knives"
    **) Chief-of-Staff (of the SA). The title held by Röhm, then Lutze and finally Schepmann.
    ***) Supreme Commander of the SA. The title was once held by Franz Felix Pfeffer von Salomon (as is mentioned in the other period source posted by F.B.), but after Pfeffer was dismissed and succeeded by Röhm, the title was held by Hitler himself until the end of the war. Hitler later also assumed the title as Der Oberste Führer der Schutzstaffel, i.e. Supreme Commander of the SS.
    ****) The highest rank in the party hierarchy.

By the way, I am about 3/4 through the recent biography of Pfeffer von Salomon and can recommended it ot all German-speaking members.

Hooray, Andreas! Yet another thread in which our finest members offer instruction in the arcane details of Germany's past for the enlightenment of all!

The Pfeffer von Salomon book is splendid.

...and it won't likely be translated, either, since it is in a medium other than a tweet or an instagram picture of fethcing female toes.SS Rohm daggers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2