Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Sword

Article about: Good Evening Gents, I am submitting this post in the hope you guys can make even a superficial case on this. I was contacted by a person I have known all my life and care a great deal for. H

Default SS Sword

Good Evening Gents,
    I am submitting this post in the hope you guys can make even a superficial case on this.
    I was contacted by a person I have known all my life and care a great deal for. He is retired and goes to a great deal of auctions. He has limited knowledge about the market and repro identification.
    Lately he hates to ask for help because I always tell him the truth and most of the time because a majority is,
    anyway

as you all know I don't collect SS stuff and have little experience.

As soon as I saw the picture it looked weird

I say
    #1 The SS runes on the handle aren't sharp
    #2 rune colour seems be be wrong
    #3 the oak leaves near the hilt look poorly executed.

I am having him call the auction house for better pics( but I don't think we need them)

He has done research on the tag.
    I said but the item and not the tag, the stated makers ect

It looks just flat out bad to me.

I am asking as a favor please give me a few more substantial reasons on this pic also
    as I want him to get more information to nip this in the bud.

I know we all normally usually wait for better pics, explanation ect
    but time is of the essence

I want to get back to him with your input post haste to help a fellow collector not make a huge mistake.

If he was do go ahead and get it at a super steal like 100 bucks that cool, nice office decoration. not a face she laid down some ungodly amount like 12 grand

He thinks its real, and he isn't listening to my points

Thank you so much guys on this in advance

BryanSS Sword

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Sword
    P
    Many

?

So that is what he bid on?? Sorry I can't help as this is not something I have spent much time researching.
    Good Luck with this!!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Well...naturally, without seeing clear photos of all of it, it's impossible to give any sort of authentication of it, But....IF it were original, 12 Grand is far over what it's worth. Check out Wittmann's stock of them, for example, and he's got several selling from $7995 for average pieces on up to $11 grand for minty ones with portapees, etc. Paul Hogle has 3 of them at Lakesidetrader for anywhere from $8 grand on up to $12.5K for a beauty with knot and hangers. The metal work on the one purchased has an unusual sheen to it, but that may simply be from the camera-it's, as I said, impossible to say from an unclear view of just the grip, of course. Personally, I don't care for the looks of the ferule.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I dont like what i can see from this photo , but as William has put better photos are needed

SS SwordSS SwordSS Sword
    These swords aren't a item I own or even want to collect so I can't be of much help but send these images of a known authentic example to your friend and see what he thinks once he compares the two. The poor quality of the auction houses photograph makes such a task difficult, but even so, there does appear to be obvious differences.

?

Have him look at the runes on the real example that youthcollector posted and you can see a MAJOR different's
    SF
    Phil

?

From the picture provided this is a NO GO for me. The points you've stated Bryan are correct. The SS runes are the biggest give away.
    I hope your friend doesn't gets burned on this one.

?

If someone is not listening to his head but follows his heart, well that can be an expensive experience!
    As stated above, the big dealers arent even that pricey on these swords, as there are plenty available in the pricerange from 7000-12000 dollars.
    Why in the hell buy at an auction with only bad pics like the one shown, instead of using the big dealers reputation and their return policy's?
    If you want to get rid of your money, then buy from the big houses!
    If this man aint listening to reason, then let him spend his money, im sure he has plenty of it, making the choices he does.
    Ask me? I think it kinda mental throwing away money like this, and should be forbidden

I will add my IBAN bank account by PM, that would create another option for spending money, i promise i will do great things with the donations

Regards,
    Ger

Hi Bryan..truer words..spoken by Gerrit..when purchasing high priced swords like these. I stay clear of such places whether or not the sword is good or bad. Thats a hard gamble to take.
    That sword unfortunately is junk..which Cody,, "YouthCollector" has supplied an authentic example showing the obvious differences seen in the grip and ferule areas. The Runes button is not what it appears...which is out of proportion..and the amount of "grip ribs" seen which I count 11..whereas..originals are having 13 ribs or 14 in rarer cases.
    Also Take Wagriffs advice to the next level..and also compare in craftmanship from the dealers mentioned.

I would say Bryan if you can show him the difference in the photos...that the Germans did not make sloppyjunk...alot of pride,thought and heart went into the creation and strict production guidlelines of these Swords. The are a very high Honor to have....not to have them looking like something out of New Yorks section of Chinatown. This sword would only be worth the materials it was crafted from. A decor model at the very most. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Also ask your friend ..to show you if any the SS Kulturzeichen which should be 2 stampings present....one on top of the scabbard throat..and the other beneath the swords cross guard. If there are any post them here on this forum..if there are not?........ that will be the nail in to coffin making it a reproduction. Regards Larry

SS NCO Pack sword
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast