Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS transitional dagger

Article about: I’m considering buying this dagger and I’m looking for opinions on its originality,also it has a chip on the front of the handle..

Default SS transitional dagger

I’m considering buying this dagger and I’m looking for opinions on its originality,also it has a chip on the front of the handle..SS transitional daggerSS transitional daggerSS transitional daggerSS transitional daggerSS transitional dagger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS transitional dagger
    P
    Many

Default More photos

More photos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS transitional dagger   SS transitional dagger  

The dagger appears to be ok and Im not to thrilled with the white background..which kind of drowns out some detail.

Someone had an attempt to take out the grip eagle at one time..and failed.
    The grip itself is early period and also looks to have Eickhorn details.

Hard to say if the scabbard screws have been replaced or not..or just lost its plating?
    Better photos under better background conditions are preferred.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

White background tends to make it a little brighter, as photographing it against a black background would blend in the details, however I have taken a few more, and I disagree with the attempt at the eagle removal Larry - There is a mark to the left side, but no other evidence of tampering. There is/has been a small chip down on the lower left and it "may" have been re-stuck. There are also to marks at the top. again shown in the pictures and there is not a split on the lower left, it is a small crack about 12mm long and as I have not, nor will I dismantle the dagger, it is one of those that will take a bit of looking at. Below is my description..............

This is a fantastic opportunity to own one of the most iconic daggers from the darkest days of history…………….
    This is a wonderful example of an ϟϟ Mans dagger RZM marked for Eickhorn.

The handle is a nice tone ebony black colour with faint traces of the original wood colour peeping through. It has a few small blemishes and dings, some small loss at the top crossguard – and a very small “chip” down in the lower left front- There is a mark, next to the chip, but it looks to be a small crack? but that to be expected with a 80 year old artefact. If you require any additional photos please ask

This is an early transitional piece so retains All nickel fittings not plated – including the Adler. All fittings are tight and there are no gaps in the fitment of the scabbard or the cross guards.

The blade has a good amount of cross graining and there is a nice deep etch to the motto. The reverse shows the markings RZM 941/37/ϟϟ It has the correct “painted” scabbard and all screws are tight and flush – this is one that hasn’t been messed with. The blade has not been sharpened or re-tipped. These iconic daggers are about – but hard to find

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS transitional dagger   SS transitional dagger  

SS transitional dagger   SS transitional dagger  

Thanks John ..its always better to have a few more sets of eyes.

No disrespect John and none intended. Personal preference for myself would not be a black background nor white either..a lighter neutral color like a mid color grey background is preferred for myself.

Due to the white background the indirect lighting IMO illuminated the background more so ..giving me a false impression. Nothing wrong with your photography ...and it may as well be that my eyes are sensitive.

I do not have any doubts of its authenticity ...except that it given me the wrong impression of certain details.
    Got my sunglasses on

Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks Larry. I know how difficult it is taking photos of blades. I have just got a beige background as I have a super rare 10/10 on the McSaar scale Sa ...louper.... 😉 sometimes I get lazy. But I value highly your opinion. It never is my intention to fleece or hide anything

?

Well you have to work out a workable preset, then in time you will get a proper feel for it.
    Sorry to say John but these pics are no good, you have way to much light and you use a white background.
    that will reflect the light and will let the shiny parts of the dagger blend in with the white.

Proper recepy for a nice shot:
    Use mid grey background paper, cloudy weather, no direct (sun) light on the subject and use a proper cam.
    That will do the job.

I have posted thousends of pics here, so just look at a few and you will see what i mean.

here two examples

regards
    Ger
    SS transitional daggerSS transitional dagger

?

Danny & I used a white background in our Army dressdaggers Reference book.
    To do this properly each object has a lining in grey around it, its hard to see, as it has been done very subtle, and its only visible when you zoom in on the original pics.
    That costed a lot of time but was needed otherwise the countour of the blades would blend in with the white of the background.

Look at this page and you see there is no detail loss, so it can be done but its needs a lot of skills and effort.

better use the recepy below

Regards
    Ger
    SS transitional dagger

Appreciate the input matey - and noted................... - for me its time. I have so much stuff to upload, changing background is a pain I have studio lights and proper backdrops - perhaps thats why people say "the item is much better in hand - your photos don't do the item justice"

I have just bought a light beige coloured backdrop I'm trying to find one that fits all

I'm bad

I have tried to experiment with some backgrounds and lighting. I'm trying to show it ....warts 'n all................ I am hoping that this shows the lower and top cross guards fit, and the blade fit , etch- cross graining and the fact that it ain't been messed with. The lower grip "chip" is a niggle - but the price reflects that- if it were to be perfect - it would add another few hundred. Finding unmolested daggers in todays market is nigh on impossible. I believe this one fits the bill nicely. As a footnote - if I had taken the offers I have had on it - it would have sold 10 times over - I just wish people would get real