Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS transitional Eickhorn up for opinions

Article about: Hi Gents, i'm bringing this Eickhorn up for opinions, its up for sale. Pics are not good but after having 30 mugshots of 30Kb this is the best he could do. So fire away Thx in advance! Ger

?

Default SS transitional Eickhorn up for opinions

Hi Gents, i'm bringing this Eickhorn up for opinions, its up for sale.
    Pics are not good but after having 30 mugshots of 30Kb this is the best he could do.
    So fire away
    Thx in advance!
    Ger
    SS transitional Eickhorn up for opinionsSS transitional Eickhorn up for opinionsSS transitional Eickhorn up for opinionsSS transitional Eickhorn up for opinionsSS transitional Eickhorn up for opinionsSS transitional Eickhorn up for opinionsSS transitional Eickhorn up for opinionsSS transitional Eickhorn up for opinions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS transitional Eickhorn up for opinions
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS transitional Eickhorn up for opinions

Hi Ger, I'm not liking the wood fit much, I know. The wood is actually Below the level of the lower grip shoulders where they should be level. And the roundel has an odd look to it also. The makers mark looks like a normal large Eickhorn with a serrated tail squirrel, so I am wondering if this is not a put together piece? Maybe a replaced grip that Sort of fit but really Didn't fit all that well? As for the roundel, I don't know what the black smears on the runes are, but maybe someone "restored" chipped black enameling? In the 8th photo, am I seeing a Gap between the blade and the guard? maybe the seller has the grip nut loosened to avoid humidity cracking the grip, as many guys do, but it is something I'd definitely ask about too.
    Bottom line being, I'm not in love with this piece. The grip definitely is not looking right-both in fit and with the roundel. The fit is more than normal shrinkage should be able to account for. The hanger looks to be a nice condition vertical, but again would be something to inquire about for makers marks, etc. A put together parts dagger? That would be my initial idea. Altogether, it's not looking like one that I would pick up myself.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

You guys take a shot first
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thx William for your reply, i had some questions about this dagger, but i would like opinions like you gave, not being coloured by my thoughts.
    Larry shoot ahead...

Ger

Do i see two different grips here????? pictures 5 & 6 seem to be different dagger grips.......or is it my eyes

?

They look like the same grips, I just think a possible flash or shake of the camera during the taking of the picture makes it look off.

Hey Ger..William summed it up as it is a parted dagger. The scabbard has been repainted and recent almost show room quality by Earl Schieb. The hangers age does not match the condition of the scabbard at all. The blade is really hard to comment on due to the photo qulaity but I do see some crossgrain...which still means nothing. Decent repro blades will exhibit the same quality..especially blades that are RZM types. So at this point in time I cant say for sure about the blade and the logo position. It is somewhat blurred.
    Looking at the lower crossguard as it is known with some Eickhorn daggers to have a recessed inlay for the blade shoulders to fit comfortably into the lower crossguard..showing no gaps. This is a nice quality I would like to seeon all political daggers SA and SS..but every maker had there own way expressing their German Craftmanship. This particular lower crossguard is ..
    #1 Not made to fit the blade..or vice versa
    #2The lower guard does not belong with it at all.
    #3 I have seen these same recessed guards with current repros.
    The grip may have been repainted to along to support Willaims thoughts.
    @ Ronnie......it is the same grip if you take a look at where the feet of the eagle meet the Wreath,, they both show the same gapping. You might need to upgrade to a better quality beer. The lower you go on the shelf to buy brew the more of an effect it will have on your eyes......." Old age,, not included in this summary...its all in the choice of beer...and if you want your eyes set straight..I will send "Sympathy" the Barmaid your way..and she will show you Old!!!
    Not a good fit at all...and I know you can do better as I have seen some of the nice examples you have been posting lately..so this one is not for you. Parts dagger with not so good photos. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I have no problems with the above analyses, but I do think that whomever put this one together needs to upgrade his sanding and staining work. And especially his metal polishing - with an upgrade to at least a 10 horsepower buffing unit. Best regards to all, Fred

SS transitional Eickhorn up for opinions

(And yes, I'm being facetious about needing a more powerful buffing unit.)

?

Thx Gents for examining this dagger.
    On first sight with the provided 13kb mugshots it looked good, not poss. to zoom into any detail.
    Looking any closer then 5 sec. with a bit better pictures I began to question the dagger.
    The grip having a poor fit, mainly on the lower left side, and the cap where the blade got into the lower crossguard is bad.

Thx Gents, the hunt goes on

Ger