Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Suspicious SS Dagger - Brown handle?

Article about: Hi everyone. Are there known SS daggers with a brown handle similar to what was used on the SA daggers? Please take a look at these photos... The dagger looks original with the Meine Ehre he

Hi Ollar ..yes there is that same reference in English and thankyou for posting what I requested.
    Ralf Siegert missed mentioning a few other wood types in his reference.

@ Fred...Hi Fred I understand your point and was trying to make a point myself only with early Grips which Ollar had questions about.
    I did mention in my quote also that painted grips came in around the same time period.

The topic of the thread was asked that there were brown SS grips..which I answered in my 2nd post.
    IMO I also feel that not all early dyed SS grips..came out perfect either and there were faults during the dying process as was faults in the production process of all dagger types..and surely rejected before they went out the door.

I do agree also that anything SS being produced or added to post war is a lucrative market place and sharp eyes and knowledge always need to keep up in the race against fakers.
    Not to lose focus of the original topic....I will reiterate that there are some SS grips that are hand worn down giving the appearance of a brown black mix..and or the wood color exposing through, due to the dying process..depending who had it in their hands the longest while on duty.

Black paint will not wear off the same.
    Great thread and replies Gents

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Suspicious SS Dagger - Brown handle?
    P
    Many

I have some appointments this AM so this will be brief. The RZM had some standards, but that does not really apply to the earliest daggers (SA included) and the overall standards were relaxed with later period items. From memory Ash not on the list, but other woods are. Aniline dyes are not wood stains or paint with a carrier, or pigments - they work differently. In the image I posted I think that you can see that the black finish did not really penetrate the wood to any significant extent. And it’s the wood stain type finish on the SA daggers for example, that can also wear off exposing bare wood. Best Regards, Fred

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    .....................There is technical side to the aniline dyes that I addressed back then, but as sometimes happens with technical matters from people with different backgrounds, I was not as successful in getting some of the basics understood as I would have liked...............
    At the turn of the century (early 20th) Germany was a world leader in artificial dye production that was at the time mostly used in textile production.

Quote by Lakesidetrader: ......…………. (the wood grips) “were roughed out, sanded down, stained by boiling the grips in black aniline dye, and then the inserts fit with care.”................

A newer but now well established presence, Lakesidetrader very likely listened to some of the earlier individuals in TR collecting - and like many of us assumed all was well just as I did. But as the hobby has matured - from time to time and here and there we find out that some of the beliefs are just myths, and/or have no discernible provable basis.

Briefly, if water with aniline dye in it was used the boiling water will raise the wood grain that was sanded down, and very likely cause warping, splitting, dimensional changes etc. etc. and bring the wood one step closer to paper manufacturing. With boiling alcohol you might have the poisoning of workers, and possibly explosions and fire to deal with as the factory burns down. Best Regards, Fred

I have never seen an ebony wood grip on a SS dagger.

same dagger better photos and greater doubt
    follow this link please > SS Dagger Feedback

Thread closed please continue discussion on above link

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2