Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Taking care of your SS dagger?

Article about: Hi all! As you might have noticed I am a newbie to the SS dagger business and to this excellent forum. I just recently bought my first SS dagger and after having fondled it a little I began

Nice! Do you want to part with one? ;-)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Taking care of your SS dagger?
    P
    Many

Nice! Maybe you could part with one? ;-)

Martin,

To answer your question regarding the storage of the dagger... Again this is based on experience and advice from some others as well as what we do in the museum I work at.. store it out of the dagger.. Wrap the dagger in the blade sock as I mentioned previously for storage and monitor your temperature and humidity..

Cotton gloves are readily available at Hobby Lobby and other high end crafts shops.. If you want museum quality gloves (which isn't really necessary) you can purchase thru Gaylord Archival supplies or University Products which specialize in museum quality storage products and other archival supplies.

You can take a cotton t-shirt in the mean time (100% cotton) not 50/50 cotton/poly and wipe down the blade to remove the finger prints.. I would strongly suggest that you do not use any chemicals on the blade.. But get the fingerprints wiped off as soon as possible and for future handling of the dagger use the gloves..

One other reason that storage of the blade inside the scabbard is not recommended is due to the friction caused by the constant removal and replacing.. This is going to cause 'rub marks" on the blade and as I mentioned earlier that the scabbard will be tight and it will cause that friction each time you pull the blade out and push it back into the scabbard...

Something else that I thought of.. Many dagger owners like to take the dagger apart to see hidden makers marks and other marks that will specifically identify a maker.. Although this is a good thing to do, also keep in mind that you are causing wear and tear on the screws, wood, and other parts.. Small chips in the wood handles can occur and you could risk stripping screws when replacing.. Don't overtighten screws and it is also suggested that you only screw them on hand tight to compensate for wood shrinkage and or expansion.. (yes the wood handles can shrink or expand due to spikes in humidity and moisture...)

There are some wonderful members on here that have years of experience and information about the care of daggers and I hope that they will also contribute their vast knowledge here as well... (Larry C.. if you are reading please add your expertise,,as well as other blade collectors....)

So for now I will close and hopefully this answers your questions reference the reason I don't re-sheath or re-scabbard my daggers as well as wiping off the finger prints as soon as possible...

Smitty

Thanks again Smitty, will definately abide to your advice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2