Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Very salty SS dienst Dolch

Article about: Hi guys picked up this extremely salty model 33 SS Manns service dagger by Boker ,Nice patina all looks good to me except perhaps the scabbard hanging ring , I believed that the suspension r

Default Very salty SS dienst Dolch

Hi guys picked up this extremely salty model 33 SS Manns service dagger by Boker ,Nice patina all looks good to me except perhaps the scabbard hanging ring , I believed that the suspension ring was welded (or brazed) shut this one is open ! is this one an anomaly or an excepted variation. I look forward to your thoughts good or bad ,Regards Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Very salty SS dienst Dolch   Very salty SS dienst Dolch  

Very salty SS dienst Dolch   Very salty SS dienst Dolch  

Very salty SS dienst Dolch  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Very salty SS dienst Dolch
    P
    Many

Hi Paul...3 points of concern

1. The scabbard ring is not perfectly symetrical having a slight oval appearance due to the
    1a. loss of solder that joined the ring ends
    1b. This ring was added

2. The grip eagle and the area around it...also seems to have been messed with...but yet I can not detect in the photos that the dagger has any swirl marks of being opened at one time except for a plier grip mark on top of the tang nut.
    2a. It is typical of these ebony grips to crack if over tightened as seen with a few vertical crack lines.

3. The scabbard IMO may not belong as the upper scabbard fitting to the lower guard does not fit snug. These guards are the 2nd type variant used and does not have that dutch shoe flair to the crossguard ends. Nothing wrong with these guards and is just an observation.

Overall the condition matches the rest of the dagger ( scabbard not included ) and is salty as you said.
    I like the blade shoulder fit to the lower guard.

You are correct Paul as this dagger is a 2nd type variation ...except for mainly the grip eagle having its issues.
    I am hopeful that you paid a below market price as this dagger is not worth over $2500 in its present condition and details noted above.

Sorry Paul these are my thoughts and observations per your request

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you Larry for your valued observations , I really appreciate it. I did pay a few hundred dollars less than market price so it seems that I got a fairly good deal . It all depends if I can live with the issues that you have so rightly pointed out, thanks again for taking the time & trouble . Kindest regards Paul