Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Would like opinions on this SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936

Article about: Hi all, I'm looking at this Chained SS Dagger for purchase, but there are a couple of concerns I have that I'd like to get some opinions on, as well as just general opinions about the dagger

?

Default Would like opinions on this SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936

Hi all,

I'm looking at this Chained SS Dagger for purchase, but there are a couple of concerns I have that I'd like to get some opinions on, as well as just general opinions about the dagger...
    1. The SS roundel is too high, pretty much touches the top cross guard. Not sure if there are known examples like this or not?
    2. There is no makers mark on the blade. I have seen examples without maker marks, but seems to be with early daggers only. Is that correct, and should I be concerned by this?

I see the soldered repair to one of the chain looks of the scabbard, as well as the chips in the handle. Those are obvious, but please let me know if you see something out of place other than those two things.

(click to enlarge)

(click to enlarge)

(click to enlarge)

(click to enlarge)

(click to enlarge)

(click to enlarge)

(click to enlarge)

(click to enlarge)

Thanks!
    Dzyner

I collect SS Daggers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Would like opinions on this SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936
    P
    Many

Default re: Would like opinions on this SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936

Hi Dyzner, You are very observant and some of the issues you pointed out are of concern,, as the roundel in my opinion is a little too high and the dagger itself has been opened at one time. The connecting links on the chain are mismatched for this type 1 chain assembly. The solder is a BIG issue as this is not normal to see at all,,, this alone would stop me from purchasing the dagger. It is normal to see no makers mark on chained SS daggers but occasionally you will see a makers logo because of the opinion of collectors and writers that an SS mann chose to save some money and not purchase the blade with no logo but switched out is SS em dagger into the chained scabbard. This is true to a certain extent as the only true documentation of such a practice was the returning vet who had one of these switched out dagger blades.
    My personal opinion on this is that the dagger has some issues and i hope for your sake that this is not alot of money,, but feel you could do better with a more sound example than the one presented.
    So with the dagger being opened at one time ,, the link connectors being not the same,,, the link holes are too large on some spots,,, the solder,, the missing wood on the grip,,, the runes button being too high also. As much as i want a chained SS also I would pass on this. these are just my thoughts and observations from past examples of question. best regards Larry

Default re: Would like opinions on this SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936

Hi Darren, I am in agreement with Larry. Original but with some issues.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!