Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Almost complete german M42 helmet (dug find)

Article about: Hello guys, After more than 70 years, this german helmet came out of the ground. I am fascinated in a certain way. It's like watching a ghost. What happened to the guy who was wearing this h

Default Almost complete german M42 helmet (dug find)

Hello guys,

After more than 70 years, this german helmet came out of the ground. I am fascinated in a certain way. It's like watching a ghost. What happened to the guy who was wearing this helmet ? Only God knows..
    The leather is not in the best condition but still preserved. There are still some traces of green paint.

I would like to know your advices to restore it.
    Of course, I don't want to transform it and making it "brand new"... but I would like to clean it at least. How to proceed ?
    Maybe the original painting is still underneath. For sure, some of you know better than I do. I am a collector, I like history .. but I'm not an expert in relic items
    What do you think ?

Thanks !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Almost complete german M42 helmet (dug find)
    P
    Many

Leave it be!....

You Could putz with it, but in the end, it will only be bad for it and it will be ruined. Lightly wipe off the dry flaky rust but Gently. No wire brushes,etc. It's a cool lid.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

So, you don't think it's possible to remove the rust and find the original painting under it ?

I wouldn't try to remove any rust. Actually it's in better condition than some that have been above ground for the last 70 years. The problem is it may continue to corrode, as they say rust never sleeps. You can stop the rust but it may ruin the patina and reduce it's value.

Its a nice relic, i see the Heer eagle outline. If it didnt have the leather your could clean it in citric or oxalic acid. Since it has the leather, leave it be.

Thanks for your opinions.

The thing is that... I see also the "shadow" of the Heer eagle... and I'm really wondering if there is a way to make it appear or if the insignia is already destroyed by the rust

I think what you see is what's there. If you can't see it it's gone for ever.

MAP
    ?

The decal is gone. Flaked away. What we see is the outline on where the decal was touching the metal. As said, relic helmets are best left untouched in a stable low humidity environment. This will outlast you in this condition.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)