Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

An alternative to oxalic acid ? The helmet results are in and the winner is ...

Article about: Good evening Chaps I trust that I find you all well and enjoying our hobby In a previous thread, I mentioned that I was intrigued by the use of oxalic acid to remove surface rust and reveal

Default Re: An alternative to oxalic acid ? The helmet results are in and the winner is ...

Hi Dan

You are quite right and I was also worried about potential damage so the really rusty one went in first :-) The second lid was a good test as it already had two different coats of green paint visible so I could easily compare the before and after effect. Maybe because I was conservative on both the amount of shock treatment and the time I left them in the mixture (30 minutes to max an hour), no observable colour change/lightening was observed.

Again, I am certain ox acid would deliver far better results but weighing risk versus effect I went with the least dangerous approach and will live with the result. :-)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement An alternative to oxalic acid ? The helmet results are in and the winner is ...
    P
    Many

Default Re: An alternative to oxalic acid ? The helmet results are in and the winner is ...

Ummm, oxalic isn't radioactive. Using it outdoors and with the wearing of rubber gloves you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

Hi there Glen66

I was very surprised to discover just how difficult it was to find a shop that still stocked beeswax in my city. After MUCH calling around, I found a small leather shop in a shady part of town which sold it in chocolate bar sized slabs.

The thing is, I don't know how to apply it correctly :-( I cut off a small piece and started to rub it on the helmet ... NOTHING happened except small bits of it grated on the pits and that was it ! Jeepers, after all the trouble getting it now I can't use it properly ! Someone suggested I melt it then "paint" it on ... what do you think ?

Chaps

Thanks for your interest and input wrt my alternative treatment ... if anyone else tries it, please let me know what result you achieve. Much appreciated lads.

LOL, you are quite right about the radio-activity ;-) Glenn. The thing is I have a disability so I am pretty clumsy and often miss what others see as obvious straight away so the less dangerous the better when I am around.

I too am interested to see how the beeswax can be applied. Even if melted then brushed on I can't see how the wax won't turn white in the heavier applied areas once it cools and solidifies.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    I too am interested to see how the beeswax can be applied. Even if melted then brushed on I can't see how the wax won't turn white in the heavier applied areas once it cools and solidifies.
    Try paraffin wax - that dries clear.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Interesting, i've tried renaissance wax and that goes white also. Can you simply buy paraffin wax 'as is' or is there a commercial name for it?

Glenn, I bought it in block form years ago from a chemical supply company. The blocks are opaque but go clear when melted in a double boiler or glue pot and stay clear if the layer is thin. I used to do guitar pickup coil winding and used paraffin to 'pot' the coils.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hi Glenn and Dan

Thank-you for the suggestions. The beeswax is not working for me so I will try to track-down parrafin wax in my neck of the woods ... if I do manage to get some, I will post the results.

Regards

Andrew

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast