MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Another m18 relic

Article about: Hi Guys, This is another m18 helmet. Its a size 62. The liner pins are replica but the ring is original. This configuration where the horns where removed and replaced by linerpins. This was

Default Another m18 relic

Hi Guys,

This is another m18 helmet. Its a size 62. The liner pins are replica but the ring is original. This configuration where the horns where removed and replaced by linerpins. This was done during the war.

It has some paint left and what I think the traces of a tri color decal

I hope you enjoy it.

Another m18 relic
    Another m18 relic
    Another m18 relic

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another m18 relic
    P
    Many

Hi KoBus Jan, have never heard of the lugs or air vents ver being replaced. All of the transitional German helmets that I have seen haveretained them. Look at the condition of the shell and the pins. They are in totally different condition so obviously do not go together. Could be a tri-colour but would need better pics. Looks like the liner band may match so it most probably was a transitional but better to save up for as long as it takes and purchase a nice authentic one that you can put in your shelf for years to come and admire.

Hi Andy Thanks for your reply. I have some photos that proof otherwise. Will post them in a minuten.

Maybe my first comment was not that clear but yes the pins are replica. The liner does belong to it. Besides almost all m18 shells where transtional. I will post the pictures in a moment. First some dinner

Hi Andy this is one of the examples I found. There are a lot of transitional shells that don't have horns and just have holes where the horns where. Some say they where removed by ww1 veterans others say this was done to make the helmets more streamlined. This example is 100 original. i based my m18 on this one. Yes tge pins are repro so I am still searching for original ones to replace them with. I will try to make some better pictures of the potential decal but I am collecting for 8 years now and ww1 and transitional shells are my favorite. My knowledge is pretty substantial. I hope you like the pictures and feel free to share your opinion.

Another m18 relic
    Another m18 relic
    Another m18 relic
    Another m18 relic

You can find the pictures in my lose comment below

Quote by KoBus Jan View Post
    Hi Andy this is one of the examples I found. There are a lot of transitional shells that don't have horns and just have holes where the horns where. Some say they where removed by ww1 veterans others say this was done to make the helmets more streamlined. This example is 100 original. i based my m18 on this one. Yes tge pins are repro so I am still searching for original ones to replace them with. I will try to make some better pictures of the potential decal but I am collecting for 8 years now and ww1 and transitional shells are my favorite. My knowledge is pretty substantial. I hope you like the pictures and feel free to share your opinion.
    I have seen quite a large volume of transitional helmets , never seen them closed off with a rivet before.
    The example you posted is very nice and looks authentic but it is rather rare instead of common like you point out.

Ah I see. I have seen more without horns so I thought it was done more often. Very nice parade helmet you show there if I am not incorrect.

Quote by KoBus Jan View Post
    Ah I see. I have seen more without horns so I thought it was done more often. Very nice parade helmet you show there if I am not incorrect.
    Often mistaken for a parade helmet but this one is in Edelstahl and were used by SD , Polizei , Teno , Bahnschutz , and so on.
    Parade helmets are made of aluminium and have the same design.

Nice. Didn't know they came in two different materials. Nice to see as well.

Hi KoBus,

Thank you for posting the photos. That is a very nice Transitional helmet indeed. I love the patina especially the portions where the original WW1 era Feldgrau paint is peaking through. Those pins appear to have been on there some time and also match the later paint.

Andrew
    Last edited by AndyM35; 02-21-2019 at 08:26 PM.