Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Battle of the Bulge 1944 Relic Number 2

Article about: Hello Chaps Me again. Below, my second and last relic German WW2 helmet allegedly from the Battle of the Buldge 1944, the Ardennes. Like my previous thread, I was told by the seller that the

Default Battle of the Bulge 1944 Relic Number 2

Hello Chaps

Me again. Below, my second and last relic German WW2 helmet allegedly from the Battle of the Buldge 1944, the Ardennes. Like my previous thread, I was told by the seller that the helmet was ground-dug in the Ardennes but I have no documentation to support this in the way of letters, pictures, video, etc. Like the previous thread, the helmet seems legit based on the condition, damage, price (low), etc.

Here are my questions and concerns wrt this particular helmet:

* There is a major difference between the condition of this helmet versus my other thread (Battle of the Bulge 1944 Relic Number 1). If both were found in the Ardennes and were both from the same battles, could such a vast difference in condition be realistic ?
    * In the photos, one can see remains of green paint but also something white. Is this white paint, part of the rust process or perhaps some cleaning agent the digger used ?
    * Perhaps its the beer, but I could swear that I see two coats of different green paint ?
    * Under both of the air "holes" I believe I see remants of decals. The most prominent being what I assume is the tri-colour on the left side of the helmet. At first I thought it might be a clever fake to create the impression that a decal was there but on closer inspection it would seem that the decal remenants is under paint that is peeling off. Am I correct or is the beer too strong ?
    * Now to the bullet hole. There appears to be "new" rust in the area of the bullet hole ... why would this be if not because something was recently done to the lid ? However, I somehow doubt that the bullet hole was made recently if one considers the condition of the metal. I would expect major damage rather than a "clean" hole through.
    * Getting back to the tri-colour and Heer Eagle, could such a helmet still be in use (albeit apparently overpainted) by December 1944 ?

Thats it as far as my relics go.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Kind regards

Adolf
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle of the Bulge 1944 Relic Number 2   Battle of the Bulge 1944 Relic Number 2  

Battle of the Bulge 1944 Relic Number 2   Battle of the Bulge 1944 Relic Number 2  

Battle of the Bulge 1944 Relic Number 2   Battle of the Bulge 1944 Relic Number 2  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Battle of the Bulge 1944 Relic Number 2
    P
    Many

Default Re: Battle of the Bulge 1944 Relic Number 2

As for the bullet hole, i think the fresh looking rust may be due to water running through the hole while it was buried.

Maybe stick it in a bucket of oxalic, you do no have much to lose

The whiteness will be due to the air getting to the exposed metal, or whats left of it. Its really not that complicated

It was quite common for helmets to have multiple coats of paint dependant on when and where they were used, it was also common for decals to be painted over. As i said earlier, try it in oxalic, but be a litte more carefull witht his one

Good morning chaps

Thank-you for the feedback, much appreciated. I will definitely be more careful with this one and I must say that it has its own character in a way. Wish these old relics could talk, just imagine the war stories ! I will post more pics once my new display cases are (finally) finished this year.

Have a super weekend guys

Regards

Adolf

This is a good one Adolf - an M35 double decal that has received a couple of field overpaints ( maybe even a rough gravel one? )
    Another good candidate for a "wash & wax job" I reckon!
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

You're a star Dan ! Some good news for me then ... which is great because the Iron Cross I posted on another forum seems to be a fake. LOL

Regards

Adolf

Glad to help! Have a look through the RESTORATION section of this forum, many have offered advice on the best way to clean a helmet like this. You won't bring it back to life mind, but you will get some colour back with a scrub with a bristle brush ( don't use a steel one!! )
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

adolf if you are going to use oxilic acid please read up on this volatile stuff first ,we dont want you getting injured ,i think there's a great guide on its use in the restoration section ,ive chosen not to use this stuff purely because of the risk to my young daughter of comming into contact with it ,nice lid by the way and definately not a fake all the best james