Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Battle damaged M35 - Normandy?

Article about: Hi, I recently obtained this M35 shell from a seller in northern France - he claimed it had been ground dug in the Normandy area. It is a size 64 but I can't find the makers mark and the lot

Default Re: Battle damaged M35 - Normandy?

nice relic lebus

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Battle damaged M35 - Normandy?
    P
    Many

Normandy, Stalingrad, they are all names that sell. Believe in the helmet, not the story. Anyone can tell a story.

I have a German helmet I dug up in Normandy (carentan area) its still has the liner in but has that big split at the back the same as the others on here?

I'm not saying this accounts for the split on the domes of the shells that have been posted, but I remember hearing something about how captured helmets would be hit with something like a pickaxe or other hard object in order to nullify their usefulness. It was similar to the old military tradition of "spiking the guns" - when one would knock a stake through the touch hole of a cannon and make it useless. You wouldn't want the enemy to capture your cannons and use them against you. Or in this case, an allied soldier wouldn't want to leave usable German helmets laying around for the enemy to pick up. I'm not sure how true this is, but I've seen a fair share of dug up helmets that appear to have been "spiked" before abandoned.

Corey

Can't see Allied soldiers being bothered smashing helmets-weapons possibly but not helmets-they were popular as souvenirs as we know...

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Can't see Allied soldiers being bothered smashing helmets-weapons possibly but not helmets-they were popular as souvenirs as we know...
    Wouldn't make sense why the Germans would do it either, it's not like the allied soldiers would wear captured German helmets.

?

It could be ground dug even the rim of the skirt looks very good. No pitting. What tells me it's ground dug is the cracked dome. Many believe this is blast cracks. I don't know if there exist any documentation on blast cracks. What i can say is, that in many a case we find helmets on the Eastern Front cracked from frost/expanding soil and water.

Regards, Lars

From the look of the sellers photo and the fact it's an M 35, it looks as though it was first painted apple green and repainted later with a darker green!...

Quote by cgp1066 View Post
    Wouldn't make sense why the Germans would do it either, it's not like the allied soldiers would wear captured German helmets.
    Maybe not the case for this Allied Soldier ????

Sorry guys, couldn't resist ! .............

I had an M40 with a winter camo with blast or frost cracks on the dome. Dan has it now. That one was not a relic though. I thought that it was caused by someone dropping it onto a hard surface in extremely cold conditions.

It makes sense to me that a helmet in the ground for years would suffer from the repeated freezing and thawing of all those winters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast