Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Best way to preserve relic helmets.

Article about: I have several relic helmets with no decals or paint remaining. What is best way to preserve them. I have done electrolysis two one, but its back to rusting again. I live in a very dry envir

Default Best way to preserve relic helmets.

I have several relic helmets with no decals or paint remaining. What is best way to preserve them. I have done electrolysis two one, but its back to rusting again. I live in a very dry enviroment so not an issue. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Best way to preserve relic helmets.
    P
    Many

mine have of a coat of renaissance wax once a year.

...doesn't really address your problem...sorry...but electrolysis isn't a fix?...I was under the impression that that was the Silver Bullet...there goes my world......again.....

Good luck with your quest

?

Electrolysis will remove the rust,but unless the relic is dried and preserved afterwards new rust will form
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-archeology-Legenda-Latvia/224779244335847

http://www.hobbyhistorica.com/

A good coat of beeswax will be sufficient.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but will beeswax leave a tacky residue on the helmet? Or does it kind of dry up

Quote by OsiusGaming View Post
    Don't mean to hijack this thread, but will beeswax leave a tacky residue on the helmet? Or does it kind of dry up
    Providing you use a good quality beeswax furniture polish, the type you apply by cloth... there will be no tacky residue. Do not overdo it with the polish, and make sure you leave it to dry before buffing with a cloth. You will get a sheen to the surface, but if this is not to your liking then remove it with a cloth dipped in paraffin.

Ok, thanks!