Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Cammo? Luftwaffe helmet shell - named to transport soldat

Article about: HI all, Here is another shell in my collection - a Q64 M40. Yes, I have more shells than complete helmets, but then that's always been my level of acquisition as pickings can be thin in the

Default Cammo? Luftwaffe helmet shell - named to transport soldat

HI all,
    Here is another shell in my collection - a Q64 M40.
    Yes, I have more shells than complete helmets, but then that's always been my level of acquisition as pickings can be thin in the southern hemisphere!

The reason I acquired it 8 years back is that it had a couple of interesting features going for it....
    1) the "green" over-paint of the Luftwaffe blue with the original colour still inside the skirt,
    2) the ghostly eagle decal still visible under the paint,
    3) the owner's name & Feldpost Number painted in the crown?? and not the skirt as it is always seen? ..... worthy of further research!!

Anyway that search led to the following information on that FP number - 'L' stands for Luftwaffe and the 29934 allocation was ....
    (16.2.1941-18.7.1941) Transport-Standarte (Speer ) der Luftwaffe Kraftwagen-Transport-Regiment 2
    (19.7.1941-14.2.1942) Stab Kraftwagen-Transport-Regiment 2 Transport-Standarte Speer der Luftwaffe
    dann Regimentsstab Kraftwagen-Transport-Regiment 2 (Speer) der Luftwaffe.

In other words, Standard transport, Staff Transport, then Regimental staff transport for Regiment 2. I have read ( but am not sure ) that these regiments were under the control of Org. Todt. Kraftwagen-Transport-Regiment 2 (Speer) der Luftwaffe was formed in the Summer of 1941 with 9 companies, later 11 companies and ended the war in Italy.

That said - and the need for camouflage I guess? if you were in a Luftwaffe transport unit, may mean the reason for the repaint?
    So then, in my fertile imagination, I see Helmut, Heinrich or even Hans Lieder hunched over the wheel of his Opel Blitz as he doggedly tried to keep up the supply to the front-line luftwaffe ground troops being pushed back up the Italian boot..... or not?

Waddyall reckon?
    Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cammo? Luftwaffe helmet shell - named to transport soldat   Cammo? Luftwaffe helmet shell - named to transport soldat  

Cammo? Luftwaffe helmet shell - named to transport soldat   Cammo? Luftwaffe helmet shell - named to transport soldat  

Cammo? Luftwaffe helmet shell - named to transport soldat   Cammo? Luftwaffe helmet shell - named to transport soldat  

Cammo? Luftwaffe helmet shell - named to transport soldat  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cammo? Luftwaffe helmet shell - named to transport soldat
    P
    Many

It’s a very interesting helmet Dan. Can definitely see the nice original blue Luft paint. We know soldiers didn’t always follow rules, look at the variety of different WW1 camos that moved away from the original orders, so I don’t see it as unusual that the original owner wrote in the dome. Nice to see a decal underneath as well. Would love to see some Aussie sunshine photos of the camo.

Totally agree in regards to what’s on offer down here. Very slim pickings. No markets or fairs.. It’s all about paying big dollars in shipping costs on top of our weak dollar.

Well if this wonderful sun of our would shine this week I would snap some fresh photos for you mate!!

As far as shows go - its the gun show at Penrith or nothing these days .......

Didn’t even know about that one Dan. If there ever is anything on Gumtree is either faked or overpriced.

Used to be a big one at Kensington back in the 80's then the one at Canterbury racecourse then they all sorta fizzled up.....

( these are all suburbs of Sydney, Australia for all our international friends )

Definitly a nice shell, with a name like this i would have picked it up myself, names make these items way more significant in my opinion! I agree with Andy, would love to see some outside shots!

Quote by Adravor View Post
    Definitly a nice shell, with a name like this i would have picked it up myself, names make these items way more significant in my opinion! I agree with Andy, would love to see some outside shots!
    These photos WERE taken outside - on my verandah - but the day was overcast ( and likely to be for the rest of this week )
    When the big orange ball IS out, I'll be sure to snap some more ....

Cheers, Dan