Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Can you identify this helmet?

Article about: Hi! I need help identifying this helmet. I know for sure its real from the WW2, as it has been in the family sinse a familymember found it during the war. What kind of helmet is this? And wh

This helmet is spectacular

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Can you identify this helmet?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Quote by Q26h9avlk654R View Post
    Hi! I know Im a noob. But how should I store it? Currently it is just on the floor in the attic. As it has been since the war. As the pictures show there is some rust on the inside. I'm a little afraid that this will spread and eventually destroy the entire helmet. Is there anything I can do to prevent the rust from spreading? Or will this ruin the value?
    Well the best way to store it is to send it to me for safe keeping .

Hopefully some the Helmet guys on the forum will respond as well but:

1) Keep it at constant room temp. Too hot will dry out the leather. Large swings in temp may also cause damage to the leather. Also keep away from high humidity.
    2) Don't worry about the rust. From the pictures it looks minor. It will not spread if the helmet is kept dry. Do not try to remove it.
    3) Keep it out of direct sunlight. I keep all my stuff in a room with window darkening shades.
    4) Hands and fingers off the decal!! I handle my helmets only on the edges.

As noted above, hopefully some the really expert lid guys will come along with some advice as well.

Regards,

Michael

If your ever interested in passing it along, keep me in mind
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    I'm still looking for one of these! But with decals in better condition. Take it out of the attic and place it on a high shelf away from curious hands, out of direct sunlight and in a climate controlled room with neutral humidity and temperature. In that environment it will last for decades to come. Attics are not the place for helmets. Also, as for the EF mark, the numbers are there just hard to read. By late war the stampings were not as strong and deep into the metal as they were early on. Perfectly fine.
    Dang.......I type way too slow....Todd beat me to the punch!

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Q26h9avlk654R
    ?

On the inside of the helmet, behind the leather, I found a loose patch that has written "50" on it. Do any of you know if this belong to this helmet? Or if it does have anything to do with at all?

Can you identify this helmet?

Q26h9avlk654R
    ?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Well the best way to store it is to send it to me for safe keeping .

Hopefully some the Helmet guys on the forum will respond as well but:

1) Keep it at constant room temp. Too hot will dry out the leather. Large swings in temp may also cause damage to the leather. Also keep away from high humidity.
    2) Don't worry about the rust. From the pictures it looks minor. It will not spread if the helmet is kept dry. Do not try to remove it.
    3) Keep it out of direct sunlight. I keep all my stuff in a room with window darkening shades.
    4) Hands and fingers off the decal!! I handle my helmets only on the edges.

As noted above, hopefully some the really expert lid guys will come along with some advice as well.

Regards,

Michael

If your ever interested in passing it along, keep me in mind
    Many Thansk for your answer! From the war to now, it has been stored in the attic. There are no sunlight there at all. But it gets cold in the winter. I guess it gets belove 0 celcius there. And in the summer it gets hot. Over 20 celcius. I guess the helmet has manage to keep in pretty good shape, staying for so many year in this attic, so maybe I should keep storing it there?

MAP
    ?

Quote by Q26h9avlk654R View Post
    Many Thansk for your answer! From the war to now, it has been stored in the attic. There are no sunlight there at all. But it gets cold in the winter. I guess it gets belove 0 celcius there. And in the summer it gets hot. Over 20 celcius. I guess the helmet has manage to keep in pretty good shape, staying for so many year in this attic, so maybe I should keep storing it there?
    Tempting fate. Sooner (rather than later), this will ruin such a beautiful piece of history. If its been hidden out of the way for all this time and you don't want to display it, then just put it in a closet in a room with stable temps.

I highly recommend you follow Todd and my advice.

Regards,

Michael

The 50 patch doesn't mean anything that I am aware of.

You should definitely listen to the advice of the knowledgeable members here. The rust that is on the inner skirt is probably the result of bad storage. An attic is not the best place. It would be a tragedy if a mouse got in there and munched on the liner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2