MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ex Civil M42

Article about: Hi this is my first post to the forum,thanks for the chance to join. This M42 came yesterday off Ebay Australia. I thought it was worth a shot as I have a good feeling about late ckl's,l bou

?

Default Ex Civil M42

Hi this is my first post to the forum,thanks for the chance to join.
    This M42 came yesterday off Ebay Australia.
    I thought it was worth a shot as I have a good feeling about late ckl's,l bought a later batch number last week.
    Anyway this is a ckl60 number 5456.
    I hit it with acetone which has removed the gloss black and revealed a mid grey (brushed?)exterior and a darker grey inside.
    Both paints laugh at the acetone.
    There is some exterior paint overlapping the skirt edges in places.
    I have not had time to finish cleaning it,especially the inside. I will get the cotton balls and helmet outside again soon.
    I am sorry if I have mucked up the photo uploads .
    Very interested in anyone's input on the helmet.
    Thanks,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ex Civil M42   Ex Civil M42  

Ex Civil M42   Ex Civil M42  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ex Civil M42
    P
    Many

Hi Kateri, really not sure about the paint as it is a bit lighter than what I would have expected with hardly any texture. The paint is very thin which I’ve read was quite common at the end of the war but I do wonder if it’s a post war paint. Would have to see it in person I think.

Still an interesting helmet with the notably larger vent holes which appear to be set slightly higher than earlier examples.

?

Thanks for your reply!

Late war helmets are nice to have in original condition and complete with liner and chinstrap, they do not cost a bundle either.
    I have seen many paint removal jobs and 19 out of 20 helmets still do not look as they would have looked in WW2 , I guess some people think of it as treasure hunting as a sort.
    I never quite understood the practice myself.

?

Thanks thats fair enough ,I think treasure hunting is a very good description.
    I love your website by the way and your lot numbers are on my phone for when I go in search of treasure.

Quote by Kateri View Post
    Thanks thats fair enough ,I think treasure hunting is a very good description.
    I love your website by the way and your lot numbers are on my phone for when I go in search of treasure.
    Thank you

Interesting paint, looks very slim indeed, whatever it is.. You can really see the contours of the stamping of the air vent on this helmet, that's quite nice. What about the liner is it one that used the original German liner band or a newer one, the helmet I have on the way right now still has that in it.
    Luis

?

Default Thanks !

Thanks for checking it out Luis.
    No it had a modern liner with big domed split pins.
    I would not remove an original.
    The dome inside looks Slate grey?
    Its not the same colour as the outside.
    Thanks again for your interest.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ex Civil M42   Ex Civil M42  

you should left the helmet as it was. It was Czech reused and the paint and the liner are part of the story of the helmet. Why people strip the paint I haveno clue because it never looks good. Never ever have I seen a example where it worked out without repainting the entire helmet. Also I thin this is destroying historical items...

In this case I think I agree that it ought to have been left as it was.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast