Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Fallschirmjäger relic lid

Article about: Hello Gents, Here is a fallschirmjäger relic from one of my friends. I visited him today and took a few pics. I hope you like it PICT0026.jpg Regards, Lars

Default Re: Fallschirmjäger relic lid

G'day mate, do you know how he cleaned it ? it looks great.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fallschirmjäger relic lid
    P
    Many

?

I would think electrolysis and vinegar afterwards. Things tend to get a little black from electrolysis. Vinegar takes care of most of it. That is how i do it. Then cover with bees wax. I have a P38 mag and a MG34 bolt "cooking" at the moment.

I can ask him how he did if needed.

Regards, Lars

Nice lid there, relics are awesome! Now you've got me tempted to clean some non helmet relic pieces today.

?

Try to start with vinegar to begin with. I don't know if you are familiar with electrolysis cleaning of course. Vinegar also works fine. Just takes time.

Regards, Lars

I have a small electrolysis unit good for cleaning coins and other small items. I tried vinegar and electrolysis on a relic SS buckle but wasn't pleased with the result. What's up with the bees wax? Better than ren wax?

Soak in White vinegar? For how long? and sorry if i don't reply it's nearly 2.am here and time for bed so i will catch you later.
    Cheers Phill.

?

Quote by Good Pwny View Post
    I have a small electrolysis unit good for cleaning coins and other small items. I tried vinegar and electrolysis on a relic SS buckle but wasn't pleased with the result. What's up with the bees wax? Better than ren wax?
    I can try and make a video and some pics tomorrow on my "rig". Easy to make and can clean relatively big objects. I can show some results too.

I will post in the restoration thread and put a link here.

Some prefer the bee wax over Ren wax. I have never tried Ren wax. Bee wax is fine and neutral. Cheap too. It should be heated until it's a liquid and kept warm and fluent. The object should also be a little warm. You can add some olive oil or other oil to the wax. It will make the wax softer.

?

Quote by WOODSNAKE View Post
    Soak in White vinegar? For how long? and sorry if i don't reply it's nearly 2.am here and time for bed so i will catch you later.
    Cheers Phill.
    I have cleaned a entire relic helmet with vinegar once. First steel brush. Then soak in vinegar for 5 days i think. I took it up once a day and cleaned rust off. Then in the bath again.

Here is a link to the helmet cleaning. It continues to page 4 at least. It cleaned up nicely. Better than expected actually. It just took some time. Relic cleaning - White Vinegar

I'll have look, thanks Lars.
    Phill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2