Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Few more helmets!

Article about: First one is a M40 tropical repainted to dark blue. The blue has flaked away or the owner took it off again to reveal the yellow.

?

Great helmets lot of character all of them!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Few more helmets!
    P
    Many

?

I bought a relic just to try your citric acid cleaning method but it didn't come out as good as your examples, mind you, I had to stop cleaning it so it's only half finished.

Tony

Quote by ynot View Post
    I bought a relic just to try your citric acid cleaning method but it didn't come out as good as your examples, mind you, I had to stop cleaning it so it's only half finished.

Tony

How much did you use? Hot or cold water?

?

Lots, about 700g in 10l of cold water.

Quote by ynot View Post
    Lots, about 700g in 10l of cold water.

Dont use that much especialy on WW1 shells, some kind of black thing that is hard to clean off hands starts to produce at the spots where bare metal is... no problem with WW2 shells though.

I use around +- half of the 500g bag of citric acid, and i use a shower with very hot water to dissolve it. (For light rust/partial cleaning)
    It stays in the acid from 2-3 hours up to a day. When it is done i use a kitchen sponge with the rough and soft side and scrub it (either with the water from the bucket or tap water, doesnt matter at this point) and pay attention to the decal if it has one since if the metal is good and the decal is good you will "erase it" if you overdo it; if its rusty you can try a little harder.
    After that i wash it with a shower of warm to hot water, dry it and then if im satisfied i oil it.
    Last edited by LeonardoL; 01-22-2016 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Typo

?

It was a WWII shell and no worries on my part as it was my first attempt Would have been nice to see a decal show up but you can't have everything. I'll no doubt have another go if I see a decent, cheap shell. I think I left it in there too long as well, about 24 hours.

Quote by ynot View Post
    It was a WWII shell and no worries on my part as it was my first attempt Would have been nice to see a decal show up but you can't have everything. I'll no doubt have another go if I see a decent, cheap shell. I think I left it in there too long as well, about 24 hours.
    Any pics?

?

Quote by LeonardoL View Post
    Any pics?
    I'll go over it with a wire brush and add some linseed oil over the weekend, then take a pic.

Quote by ynot View Post
    I'll go over it with a wire brush and add some linseed oil over the weekend, then take a pic.
    Ok but dont oil it if youre thinking of cleaning it again with the acid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2