Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fresh out of the ground in Russia

Article about: My friend is sending this to me, anyways, What is this band around it?

Default Fresh out of the ground in Russia

My friend is sending this to me, anyways, What is this band around it? Fresh out of the ground in RussiaFresh out of the ground in RussiaFresh out of the ground in RussiaFresh out of the ground in Russia

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fresh out of the ground in Russia
    P
    Many

looks like a post ww2 rubber band to me ,whats the paint like underneath it ?
    Regards James

It's a rubber seal from a canning-jar...
    cheers, Glenn

Your from Seattle? I live in Vancouver wa...anyways is it post war? he doesn't know about this stuff either so, haha really a canning jar? I don't know the paint under it, I don't have it yet

The helmet is original, the band might be wartime...it's obviously totally dried out and has no more elasticity...would likely fall apart easily...I'd like to see underneath it as well...Yes, I live in Seattle/Queen Anne....
    cheers, Glenn

i agree with glenn the band certainly looks dryed out and would probably break trying to remove ,perhaps the remaining paint beneath the band would give clues to it being period applied to the shell ,i notice the inner shell has lots of hair remnants
    Regards James

Thanks for pointing out the hair, I missed that totally...that would explain the discoloration on the liner remnants, which is always seen on KIA Helmets/Grave-dug helmets...I wouldn't be surprised if the man's skull was found still wearing this helmet...
    cheers, Glenn

No matter how many times I see one like this, it always drives home the reality of the war.

the band was cut from a tyre innertube hence the red colour.it was for putting twigs and grass in for camoflage,in his case it didn't work.would not have it in my house.

Wait, back up here....it has hair still in the liner I don't see it from the pictures? I don't have this helmet yet maybe don't want it now, so the band is for camo purposes then? Yeah I don't know about the paint under neath it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast