Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A grim reminder helmet

Article about: Here is one from a recent exhumation. It was probably from the #3 soldier (schrapnel hole in helmet/cracked skull) however it was thrown aside. It had 3 grenades in it. One of the strangest

Default A grim reminder helmet

Here is one from a recent exhumation. It was probably from the #3 soldier (schrapnel hole in helmet/cracked skull) however it was thrown aside. It had 3 grenades in it.
    One of the strangest sites ive seen - around 500 7,62X54r ammo, full ammo box of 7.92, 5 stielhandgramaten and 1 F1 russian grenade, 1 k98 launcher and its grenade... the shortage of ammo at that point in the war makes me wonder why everything was left behind. No ID tags.

I would like that the pics arent posted on the other sites or shared. The last pic is me (facing back/squatting) beginning the exhumation.

A grim reminder helmetA grim reminder helmetA grim reminder helmetA grim reminder helmetA grim reminder helmetA grim reminder helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A grim reminder helmet
    P
    Many

Wow...sort of speechless. Never saw anything like this ! Where do you bring the remains to ? Or can you not say ?

I mean I would like to ask a hundred questions pertaining to your work. Such as "Why are you doing this"? "Whos' property is it ?" "How do you know where to look ?" etc.etc

Quote by real steel View Post
    Wow...sort of speechless. Never saw anything like this ! Where do you bring the remains to ? Or can you not say ?

I mean I would like to ask a hundred questions pertaining to your work. Such as "Why are you doing this"? "Whos' property is it ?" "How do you know where to look ?" etc.etc
    A very harrowing "time capsule" Leonardo, and work that is most important as there are still relatives out there wondering the final fate of their loved ones.
    Hi David, the presence of the uniformed official and the full "scrape back" of the area and not just a hole with a metal detector indicates to me that this is an official dig with the aim of returning the remains and if possible naming them to their homeland and families. Leon.

Quote by real steel View Post

They were found by accident by the archeologists on a roman cementary.

The soldiers are to be buried at a German WW2 cementary in Zagreb. They are german, however we didnt find any EMs so they will never be identified. Over 2000 german soldiers died around the place these 3 were found in late 1944, most thrown in the Drava river or buried by the locals where they fell. The whole Brandenburg division was destroyed here together with the 31 SS and 44 WH Grenadier division and some Hungarian and Croatian forces.

Germans held an hill, Kota 169 (169m), they had a clear view of the crossing of the river where the partisans and the Red army were crossing. They held them off for 3 days straight using MGs, and dosens of mortars, however the manpower was so strong that they broke through and the germans started fleeing.
    Partisans lost 648 (official) men and the Ukranian Red army 1237 (that were found and burried).

The position of the remains might imply they were laid there after death rather than buried by their own side. The absence of Ekm could have been due to them being placed elsewhere, maybe on a marker that has disappeared over time. A sad vignette into death on the battlefield in the 20th century.

Wow, pictures like these always remind me just how real this all is, and how the items we all collect all have a real story.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    The position of the remains might imply they were laid there after death rather than buried by their own side. The absence of Ekm could have been due to them being placed elsewhere, maybe on a marker that has disappeared over time. A sad vignette into death on the battlefield in the 20th century.
    There was a partisan/red army soldier 20m away. However he was just thrown in, laying on his side. Same depth hole, same zone. None of them had their belts or boots, neither germans or the partisan however they had their pockets still full of items (coins, wound medal,...) the cracked skull one had a rucksack.

Seeing those three "Fallen" soldiers, in the grave, does bring home the sad reality of war.

Now, over Seventy years have passed, I'm glad they are being given a proper burial.

All "Fallen" soldiers of every nation, "found" after many years, should all be given respectful burials.

Sad that they will never be identified, but let them finally Rest In Peace.

Quote by LeonardoL View Post
    There was a partisan/red army soldier 20m away. However he was just thrown in, laying on his side. Same depth hole, same zone. None of them had their belts or boots, neither germans or the partisan however they had their pockets still full of items (coins, wound medal,...) the cracked skull one had a rucksack.
    Looted at the time for boots then, grimly practical rather than looting for monetary profit. War is hell.

Here is the partisan/red army soldier 20ish meters away. Clearly just thrown in.
    I dont know where was he taken or where will he be burried. The Croatian army soldiers and the man right of me took him.

A grim reminder helmet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast