Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Interesting M40 relic

Article about: I just purchased this relic for cheap as. Never seen one like it, absoloutley fascinating, must have a good story behind it. And it is a M40!

Default Re: Interesting M40 relic

Very nice relic :-)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting M40 relic
    P
    Many

Quote by qotd View Post
    I was thinking some one may b making a cooking pot out of it with pouring lips....
    My first thought exactly,qotd William

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    My first thought exactly,qotd William
    G'day William,

Now having had the helmet in hand and looked by someone who works with metal, it has now been ascertained tht this could have been damage caused by it being wedged into some part of the interiorvof a vehicle as a result of an explosion. No evidence of the helmet being heated to form this shape, and all deformation occurred at the same time

?

With all due respect to the explosive wedge theory, I have to disagree. An explosion causes heat, there is no heat damage to the helmet as you have said. An explosion in an enclosed area causes extreme concussive forces, there is no concussion cracking to the helmet.

If the helmet was thrown skirt first into some part of the interior of a vehicle the skirt and visor would have flared outward not inward.
    If the helmet was thrown dome first into some part of the interior of a vehicle simple geometry dictates that the skirt and visor could not have flared inward toward beyond that of the circumference of the dome without the dome being wedged together in some fashion as well, as the dome was the first to enter the space, the dome has no damage yet the skirt and visor are flared inward far beyond the outer circumference of the dome.

The damage still appears to me to have been pressed, not heated, together by some sort of press, on either side of the helmet at the same time, the turned and pressed again causing the final shape of opposite press points and slight creasing created by the press.

Maybe a regimental field repair depot was trying to make something of an old helmet, wasn't successful and tossed it.

Just another friendly thought and being a lifer in the auto repair industry we work with a lot of metal as well.

Cheers
    Doug

its very intersting

Ive heard destroying nazi helmets were common at the time. could have been bulldozed into a hole with other helmets and rubble after a battle! nice piece. I too have seen this before! its so unusual you cant forget it!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5