Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M35 DD Relic

Article about: Greetings everyone! This is my first post and first helmet purchase. I have been a long time viewer and finaly a member of the helmet collecting community. I purchased this helmet from Russi

MAP
    ?

The odd thing is that if it was a factory refurb, they would have removed the tri-color decal. So the second coat is probably a depot/field refurb - i.e. repaint/new liner. The third coat could be a single color "camo" maybe???

But I would love to hear from others as well. These are just my thoughts. I could be wrong.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 DD Relic
    P
    Many

Quote by MAP View Post
    The odd thing is that if it was a factory refurb, they would have removed the tri-color decal. So the second coat is probably a depot/field refurb/repaint/new liner. The third coat could be a single color "camo" maybe???

But I would love to hear from others as well. These are just my thoughts. I could be wrong.
    Thats something cool I didn't think about.
    I have two more m35 DD coming in, both with multiple layers of paint. One looks like it might have a camo textured remnant. Ill post up comparison photos when they arrive.

Nice original Mod. 35 stahlhelm, the stripe is intriguing, but I see no red flags as regards the paint colour. As said the drawstring is a replacement, so you could lose that if you liked. It would be interesting to decipher the names but I cannot read them at present. Happy collecting and welcome along.

Going by the Roman numeral in the dome stamp the helmet is an ET which corresponds with the decal.
    The drawstring is indeed a replacement probably to keep the leather from moving too much.

What your comment on relics having a more "been there look" is Always something that makes me chuckle. All Original helmets have been "there". Ground finds are left behind helmets that got covered by dirt due to the passage of time. Was it during a battle or was it just a lost helmet that dropped in the bushes behind the frontlines ? Only a professional documented excavation can perhaps give you the answer. Many helmets survived in much better shape because a lot of American soldiers shipped them back home as souvenirs or were kept by families because fathers, sons and uncles fought in the war , or found in fields and kept by locals. Oxidation and rotted leather as such does not mean the helmet saw more or less use than a better looking example. Just wanted to clear that up because it is a common misconception.

Preservation wise , it is Always better to try to keep the item as untreated as possible. For above ground finds no treatment is required. For ground finds it could be required but I see no reason here to add a coating. Treatment if visible Always has a negative effect on the price.

?

Quote by FurryRhino View Post
    The helmet appears to have 3 layers of paint. The base looks like the early green and can be seen where the diggers scrubbed sections of rust on the inside. The second is a textured grey color that has small reflective particles that can be seen in direct sunlight. The third is the outer chalky green color, it appears that it was much darker originally and has a powdery layer that comes of easily revealing a darker hue.
    The eagle is clearly applied over the second grey layer of paint. Is it possible that it was some type of war time refurb with a new decal applied?
    I am pretty sure that they would sometimes repaint them, not sure.
    But good observation, good job seeing those layers.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Ethan View Post
    I am pretty sure that they would sometimes repaint them, not sure.
    But good observation, good job seeing those layers.
    Helmets were repainted and refurburbished on an industrial scale at the factory and also at the field/depot level. Resources were scarce and a helmet shell would not be wasted just because the paint was worn off or the liner worn out.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Going by the Roman numeral in the dome stamp the helmet is an ET which corresponds with the decal.
    The drawstring is indeed a replacement probably to keep the leather from moving too much.

Preservation wise , it is Always better to try to keep the item as untreated as possible. For above ground finds no treatment is required. For ground finds it could be required but I see no reason here to add a coating. Treatment if visible Always has a negative effect on the price.
    Thank you for the info and advice. I have been using your website as a reference for the past few months. I have a relic M42 SD SS Helmet on the way I would like to have your opinion on. Sold as a ckl 66, lot number 3027. Ill post more pictures when it gets here.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 DD Relic   M35 DD Relic  

Quote by FurryRhino View Post
    Thank you for the info and advice. I have been using your website as a reference for the past few months. I have a relic M42 SD SS Helmet on the way I would like to have your opinion on. Sold as a ckl 66, lot number 3027. Ill post more pictures when it gets here.
    Looks promising, try to get a better decal close-up When you have it in hand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2