Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M36 SD Quist with an almost perfect head shot

Article about: Hi Harry The Mole, I agree your damage does appear to be period damage and I suspect from something other than a bullet as there appears to be damage just below the entry hole. Just trying t

Hi Harry The Mole, I agree your damage does appear to be period damage and I suspect from something other than a bullet as there appears to be damage just below the entry hole.
    Just trying to make others aware that not all damage should be taken at face value. I witnessed someone fire through the shoulder of a US 101st Airborne shirt. the shirt was later sold including blood stain as fresh from the guy who was wearing it in Vietnam.
    Regards
    Barry

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M36 SD Quist with an almost perfect head shot
    P
    Many

Hi Barry,

I agree with you totally. just below the entry hole is a nick in the metal - there is even one on the rim. It could have been a shell fragment which did the damage. As for the airborne shirt, have a look at the picture of the square of combat cloth. The hole was done by a 9mm bullet and there is no blood anywhere on the material. On the 31st January 1972, the day after Bloody Sunday, a mobile patrol consisting of two Humber armoured 'Pigs' from 2 Troop - 9(Plassey) Bty were travelling down Glen Road in Andersonstown. As the vehicles reached the junction with Ramoan gardens the vehicle commander of the lead Pig spotted a newly erected barricade.

Both vehicles came to a halt and the commander decided to investigate. They turned into Ramoan Gardens and drove down towards the barricade to see if they could push it out of the way with the Pigs. As they slowed down a gunman jumped up and fired a single shot at the armoured windscreen of the lead Pig. The bullet penetrated the glass, took the button off the cuff of the driver, hit the door and ricocheted across - grazing the cheek of the vehicle commander, entered the right shoulder of Gnr R.... A.... and came out of his left shoulder and cut a deep furrow across his back down to the bone. The bullet then travelled to the rear of the Pig and went in the front and out of the back of the beret being worn by Gnr S.... G.... By now the bullet was completely flattened to the size of a 50p piece. It travelled forward one last time and hit Gnr R.... A.... again, this time in the back of the head. The 2IC thought he was dead when he saw him slump forward with all the blood coming out of the back of his head, but then they heard him groan.

He was rushed to Musgrave Park military hospital where they carried him in and cut his cloths off his back. R.... heard the bullet drop out of his combat jacket as they removed his jacket and shouted out: 'Souvenir, souvenir.' By a strange coincidence his brother Sgt P.... A.... was at the same hospital erecting a new antenna on the roof of the communications room. As he stood there, a Provo gunman opened up on him with a Thompson smg. This is one of the many stories which will be in my new book... Andersonstown, the toughest nut to crack. It should be out by 2015.

M36 SD Quist with an almost perfect head shot

The Kennedy magic bullet has nothing on this One! A little plug for the new book as well. Thanks for the post.

Believe me, that is only part of the story! There were over 27 shootings in that 24 hour period. It was an absolute nightmare!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2