Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M40 double decal

Article about: Hello Everyone, I have had an old german helmet in posession for the past few decades. It was given to me by my grandfather but he never told me where it came from. I have never done any res

Default M40 double decal

Hello Everyone,

I have had an old german helmet in posession for the past few decades. It was given to me by my grandfather but he never told me where it came from. I have never done any research on it. I was wondering if anyone can let me know what it may be worth. Thank you for your assistance.

Russell DischarM40 double decalM40 double decalM40 double decalM40 double decalM40 double decalM40 double decal

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 double decal
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum. It is a bit difficult to provide accurate information given the quality of the pictures. You have what appears to be either an M35 or M40 Heer. I'm guessing it is an M35 based on the fact that it is a double decal and has what appears to be a single band aluminum liner with square chin strap bales.

That said...it appears to have been messed with given the odd "camo" paint job. looks like someone put tape on it and sprayed around it.

We will need much better pictures to confirm authenticity of the helmet, decals, liner, camo paint and such. Close up straight on pictures of the decals are needed as well. Suggest you take the pictures outdoors in indirect light.

We do not provide appraisals but can direct you to dealer sites that you can compare this helmet too. These will be retail prices and not what you can sell it for. Be warned, that there are many variables that affect price and I think that the camo paint will turn out to be post war applied.

Also please look inside the helmet. There should be numbers stamped in the rear skirt (this is the lot #) as well as a maker mark/size (Something like ET64) near the chin strap bales.

P.S. I can't expand the pictures to get a good look at the rivets. You note it is an M40, but the configuration leads me to believe as noted above that it is probably an M35

P.P.S Double decal M40's helmets are rare as hens teeth. Seeing one immediately raises red flags..
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Helllo and thank you for your response. The rear is stamped with a 3437 and there is SE64 stamped near the chin strap. Would it be benificial to remove the liner pins and liner so that better pictures can be taken? Thanks again

Russell

That pinkish paint appears post war to me too, and is really going to hurt it if so. Double decal M35's are the one's everyone likes having in their collections, and in good shape command a tidy price. I wonder if there's a safe way strip that off of it...

Better pictures would tell a more accurate story, but judging by the sticker on the front, someone has had some "fun" with this one that is going to detract from its value unfortunately.

Quote by Russell Dischar View Post
    Helllo and thank you for your response. The rear is stamped with a 3437 and there is SE64 stamped near the chin strap. Would it be benificial to remove the liner pins and liner so that better pictures can be taken? Thanks again

Russell
    No. Leave the liner as it is. If you remove the pins, they will not look the same going back in and that will also serve to affect the value. Closer photos inside and out should be helpful.

SE is the Sachsische Emailler und Stanzwerke A.G. plant, and 64 is the size. The other number is the lot number.

MAP
    ?

No....never remove the liner pins.

Here are some good examples of how to photograph a helmet.

M16 SA Transitional - Hochland

Factory Issued SD M35 Kriegsmarine Helmet - SE 66 - Lot # 4934

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The liner metal band is marked

B&C
    Berlin

The shell is stamped SE64 and 3437 in th rear. Here are some more pictures. Hopefully they are better quality.

M40 double decalM40 double decalM40 double decalM40 double decalM40 double decalM40 double decalM40 double decalM40 double decalM40 double decalM40 double decalM40 double decalM40 double decalM40 double decalM40 double decalM40 double decalM40 double decal

Liner looks original to the helmet to me, B&C produced. The paint is curious. I want to say it's post war, and am pretty confident that's probably the case. But, there are some odd looking camo's out there. I'll defer to Frank or one of the other guys on the paint, someone with more experience with that aspect of these helmets.

The POW MIA sticker appears to be Vietnam era. I found one on the UK Ebay, and that's what they say it is anyway.

Thanks for your response. It has been very helpful.

MAP
    ?

What you had was a very nice early double decal M35 that someone appears to have repainted postwar. A shame. I will wait for others with more experience on camo painting for final opinions.

A few other thoughts. To me it looks like a Heer decal but it might be a kriegsmarine. A long shot IMHO but the photo of the decal hints at it being a double layer. But probably my poor eyes and looking at it from a small tablet. As above, let's wait for those with more decal knowledge to opine. I checked Frank's database over at GHW forum and didn't see this lot number to compare to.

It also might have been a killed in action as there appears to be blood rot. This is just a guess as while the pictures are better, they still are not good.

Let's see what others say.

Michael

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast