Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M40 double decal

Article about: Hello Everyone, I have had an old german helmet in posession for the past few decades. It was given to me by my grandfather but he never told me where it came from. I have never done any res

The Heer eagle decal is a common ET made type I believe also, which is accurate for an SE made shell.

For what little help I've been, you're welcome.

I'd like add one more thing Russell. Even if the paint is post war, it's still a double decal M35 which are more sought after than the helmets made after that. Regardless of how that all affects the value, you have a great piece of WW2 history and a wonderful gift your grandfather left you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 double decal
    P
    Many

I found a picture taken 28 years ago of me with this helmet on my head and rememberd I still had it at my moms house. I was going to let my son play with it like I did as a kid. When I got it I didnt remember exactl what I had. I asked my grandpa about it and he wouldnt tell me where it came from. I took my kids to the army surplus store today to get some stuff and decided to see if they knew anything about it. someone told me it was an M40 and offered me 150$ for it. It sparked an interest in finding out more about this helmet. I appreciate everyones responses and all the information you guys provide.

Russell

Depending on the paint, as a double decal M35 it's worth a lot more than $150. Since people are trying to "steal" it from you, keep in mind descent DD M35's can go for $1,500 to over $3,000+ for nearer to mint ones. Yours has great decals, it's just that over paint that will make or break it, and the sticker isn't helping either. Look around some dealers to see what they have. Lakeside Trader is a good place to look. SVmilitaria is one I like too, German War Booty, The Collectors Guild, The Ruptured Duck. See what those guys are asking, keep in mind yours may have been messed with which hurts it considerably if true, and go from there. If nothing else, keep it in the family!

P.S. Resist the urge to wear it anymore.

MAP
    ?

Did it have the camo and sticker on in the picture from days gone by?

As far as the surplus store... First they were wrong as to the type and they were low balling you on the price. I don't know what a helmet like this would command but it's more than $150.

P.S. it's a Heer decal as I thought. I looked at the decal on the bigger screen on my PC.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yes it had the sticker and paint in the old picture. I had a feeling they were trying to get me at the surplus store. I looked at german-helmets .com to try and see the different variations. It sure is hard to tell one from the other to me. What are the main points of differance?

Do you know what type of paint was used on original M35 helmets? Also what was the composition of the decals?

MAP
    ?

Quote by Russell Dischar View Post
    Yes it had the sticker and paint in the old picture. I had a feeling they were trying to get me at the surplus store. I looked at german-helmets .com to try and see the different variations. It sure is hard to tell one from the other to me. What are the main points of differance?
    to be honest, it would take a book (and there have been dozens written ) to explain the many differences. Basically it comes down to condition, type, model, rarity, originality and demand IMHO

example, an SS helmet commands more than a Heer (Army), an M35 generally command more than an M42, Double decals command more than single decals. But these are general assumptions and you need to take into account all the factors and look at the helmet as a hole. Small changes affect prices up and down. As a 1936 dated mint Heer apple green double decal might command more than a ratty partial single decal M42 SS.

Just takes time and learning. Now, hopefully you've been bitten by the bug. You have a piece of history in your hands and a family heirloom. Take some time and read through the threads on this forum and you will quickly learn the basics.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Russell,

Could you take clear and highly focused pictures outdoors and away from direct sunlight? I am skeptical of the camo being original and have never seen one like this before but I am not as well versed as others. Just want to have enough quality information for the forum members. In the oft chance this camo is real, it dramatically changes the value of the helmet. The sticker itself, under the hands of a qualified person could be removed.

I agree with MAP. Really good photos in natural light are needed to determine if the camo is good or not. If it is good, the value and significance of the helmet will go up significantly. So, it's something you'll be wanting to know going forward. But, higher resolution photos in better light are a must have.

I called my mom and she said that she remembers me painting it and putting the sticker on the front. Oh what an ass i feel like now. I think I might try and get the paint off. Any ideas or suggestions? I have various types of thinners at my disposal. I think they were painted with laquer based paint by what I have read. The decals seem to be either laquer or water based. Once again your guys help is awesome and much appreciated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast