Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

M40 double decal

Article about: Hello Everyone, I have had an old german helmet in posession for the past few decades. It was given to me by my grandfather but he never told me where it came from. I have never done any res

MAP
    ?

Do not attempt to take the paint off. It can be done but only by someone qualified. Acetone or paint remover can and will significantly damage the decal and even the underlying paint if not done correctly

There are members here who have done this. Maybe they can provide some advice or recommend someone who does this professionally (not even sure there is someone)

I myself would leave it as is.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 double decal
    P
    Many

Yeah, don't do anything before doing a lot of homework if you really want to try, or send it to someone who has lots of experience doing it. I'd recommend asking here, and there's also a group of helmet dedicated collectors that are of the highest caliber in the collecting world that might be able to offer advice over at German Helmet Walhalla. Get some really good photos, and see what they say over there.

After inspecting it looks to be a sprayed on paint which makes me know that it was done in the recent past. I think I should proceed with the restoration.

maybe I will wait. Thanks for the advice.

Quote by Russell Dischar View Post
    After inspecting it looks to be a sprayed on paint which makes me know that it was done in the recent past. I think I should proceed with the restoration.
    I cannot caution enough not to do anything until you talk to folks over at GHW. If any solvent you use damages the decals, you'll have far, far been better off leaving it painted as is. The paint you put on it can probably be removed, and in my opinion would restore some value as well, but you only get one shot and you want it to be done right. Or, better send it to someone who has done it before. Even then, there's no shame in just leaving it alone too. It's a nice piece of history with a family connection.

Thanks avenger I will ask at GHW. I will update this post when I hear back. Any link to the forum where I should ask this question would be appreciated.

"Third Reich Combat Helmets 1935 - 1945" probably.

You can also sell it to me for $151. Just kidding. Join up at GHW, and see what they say.

MAP
    ?

GHW is a good path. Looking forward to seeing this posted over there. That said, the forum requires high quality photos, so practice taking good pictures

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I would keep the helmet as a family heirloom and pass it on to the next generation.
    Removing the paint will not restore it enough to Original condition.
    It's a nice example of what happened with a lot of these helmets after the war.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3