Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

M40 ET64 single decal battle damaged relic

Article about: Hey guys - what are your thoughts on this one? Decal ok (looks ok to me)? Cheers, Fabe

?

It's ok, I'm here to learn...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 ET64 single decal battle damaged relic
    P
    Many

?

Hey Dan - what do you think about the helmet in post #18?
    As I've said, the paint looks good (there is def. 2 layers of camo; some yello and green - on top of the factory green/gray) and under the rust - maybe was just a quick & sloppy camo paint job, and some of it dripped under the liner?

Hi Dan!
    I'm still sure that the helmet is an EF and not Quist. Also the BF decal is fake and applied over the pitted surface. If you look at the right wing and right edge of the decal you can see that it's wrinkled due to the rust dots and pits but not like on originals when bubbling lifts the decal up a bit. A usb microscope could tell for sure. As for the other helmets I can't see any problem with them, really nice relics, well done Fabe!
    Regards
    Attila

Quote by Fabe View Post
    Hey Dan - what do you think about the helmet in post #18?
    As I've said, the paint looks good (there is def. 2 layers of camo; some yello and green - on top of the factory green/gray) and under the rust - maybe was just a quick & sloppy camo paint job, and some of it dripped under the liner?
    The paint in the dome is more than just running under the liner- it was purposely painted.... and I dont understand why unless it was done when the liner was out as a field refurbishment.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Attila - all these relics are from the same seller, I still sort of like the decal - and probably won't test it with a microscope
    He sold me a nice Luffty decal helm ( original, approved by this forum ), and I guess the other M40 decal one here is also good, so I'm an a trusting side with him.
    Btw. - NICE Hungarian WW2 helmet collection! I think you own most of them here...

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    The paint in the dome is more than just running under the liner- it was purposely painted.... and I dont understand why unless it was done when the liner was out as a field refurbishment.
    I understand your concern, but it does look like old original paint - did you ever see a wartime helmet which had paint inside the dome?

Quote by easternwarfront View Post
    Hi Dan!
    I'm still sure that the helmet is an EF and not Quist. Also the BF decal is fake and applied over the pitted surface. If you look at the right wing and right edge of the decal you can see that it's wrinkled due to the rust dots and pits but not like on originals when bubbling lifts the decal up a bit. A usb microscope could tell for sure. As for the other helmets I can't see any problem with them, really nice relics, well done Fabe!
    Regards
    Attila
    Hello Attila,
    I do respect your knowledge on helmets but I don't see what you are seeing. What I see is the LARGE amount of pitting to the exposed metal around the decal but ( unless Fabe can provide a real sharp image ) a lack of those deep craters in the black section either side of the eagles head - I find that most strange if it is a newly applied decal but not if it is original as the decal will protect some of the underlying steel.

I FULLY agree that if this is NOT a Quist then the BF is wrong and doesn't make sense to be on an EF or ET so the natural conclusion is that it is fake - but I really cannot fathom how the decal could then be carefully scraped of the craters with such precision ( left wing area and upper right wing ) and not elsewhere....???

I think the cleaning & scrubbing has knocked the top off the decal a bit giving it that worn look but I think we will be sitting on either side of the fence on this one ....

Sincerely, Dan

?

I cropped and sharpened the decal image +30% - if it helps...

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Hello Attila,
    I do respect your knowledge on helmets but I don't see what you are seeing. What I see is the LARGE amount of pitting to the exposed metal around the decal but ( unless Fabe can provide a real sharp image ) a lack of those deep craters in the black section either side of the eagles head - I find that most strange if it is a newly applied decal but not if it is original as the decal will protect some of the underlying steel.

I FULLY agree that if this is NOT a Quist then the BF is wrong and doesn't make sense to be on an EF or ET so the natural conclusion is that it is fake - but I really cannot fathom how the decal could then be carefully scraped of the craters with such precision ( left wing area and upper right wing ) and not elsewhere....???

I think the cleaning & scrubbing has knocked the top off the decal a bit giving it that worn look but I think we will be sitting on either side of the fence on this one ....

Sincerely, Dan

Thanks FAbe - I still am convinced.... some areas to consider :-

1) look at the chest feathers - there are no craters under them. This is the best protected area the decal affords the steel under it.
    2) look at the cross - there is a rust bubble under the center almost ready to flake off ( creating a new crater ...DONT force it )
    3) I can see many craters that are less than 0.5mm in reality that have no decal remnant in them ( middle of right foot, middle & tip of left outer wing feathers ) you would need a scalpel, magnifying loupe and the hands of a surgeon to accomplish this.
    4) lastly I can now see a scrape that goes diagonally from the upper left wing - across the black to the middle of the neck. I really cannot believe this is fresh damage.

Personally if it not a Q helmet I can only imagine ONE possible scenario - that somehow a Quist decal was field applied to the helmet against regulations but before the total removal of decals in may 1943.

Dan
    Last edited by Danmark; 07-26-2016 at 05:46 AM.

?

ok guys - I've put the lid under a big spot-light - checked the side, where the makers code should be - I think I'm seeing partial markings. I wish I had my better camera with me, for now only a crappy phone shot - they look better with bare eyes...
    friday I will take better pics.

the upper portion of a round marking can be seen (def looks like etching and not an edge of rust-bubble) and next to it the upper part of a 6 - the size is 64, but the 4 is gone to rust...

I'll make another photo on friday - maybe I can zoom in better with that...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast