Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M40 Heer helmet recovered from clay

Article about: This helmet is a VERY interesting example. Its a M40 in fantastic condition with full liner and chinstrap. The reason im posting this under "relic helmets" is simple. You may not b

Very nice find. Save the address label from the shipping package and keep it with the helmet. Now it is part of the history. Doesn't seem like much now but 20 yrs from now the information might be helpful to you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Heer helmet recovered from clay
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    Amazingly the decal seems to have suffered the worst of it. I don't know how the liner & strap could endure being buried for decades & still remain in this condition. I don't know anything about Russian soil. Clay I would think, has some moisture content ? That should rot the leather.

Did you clean it or the seller ?

But nice helmet regardless.
    Quote by plumbob View Post
    If Viking shoes can survive for over a thousand years in the correct conditions. Don’t see why 70 odd year old leather cant. From the little i know, damp conditions with little or no oxygen is best for this kind of preservation. But hey what do I know!
    I would never pretend to be an expert, so just an observation.
    It would be hard to know if it actually was on someone’s head when that hole was made.
    Hope it turns out well for you and thanks for showing.

Rod
    Not commenting on this liner but yes, clay is excellent at preserving leather. As well as bogs. I have read that it is the lack of oxygen. The trick is what happens to the leather once it is exposed to air. In some cases it crumbles in other cases not.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi. I had this helmet, know precisely where and as it was found. He was found on fights of January, 1944, in the first day of the Soviet big approach. Novgorod region. On positions of penal battalion of German. Nearby there was a killed German soldier with a counter 500 penal battalions.

///

- - ------- - -

MAP
    ?

Fantastic Artem. Thanks for these photos and the historical context behind the items.

Just goes to show that this clay type of soil can preserve pretty much anything for long periods.

Anyway the photos can be uploaded directly to the forum?

Regards,

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Wow! I’m in shock over the great amount of information you were able to provide about this helmet. Thank you so much Artem! I will make sure to record this information.

By the way, I’m loving this helmet! It’s one of the best in my collection.

Best regards- Jarret

The clay preservation story is credible, referring back to my Soil Science studies at university, a feature of predominantly clay soils in wet conditions would be low levels of oxygen. Absence of oxygen slows decay and oxidization considerably, so preservation of metal from rust and leather from rot is quite possible, particularly in a perpetually wet soil location.

Nice helmet! I need a similar helmet in my collection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2