Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M40 Luftwaffe relic: should i use acid?

Article about: by Datrus Very nice decal. I agree

Default re: M40 Luftwaffe relic: should i use acid?

Wow thanks for your words of wisdom..to answer a couple of the question's posed..No this has NO dents what so ever...It was dug up in the last few weeks in Germany..it came along with a very rusted but again solid M42 Heer..I was thinking of oxalic acid but only in small dose's..i normally would leave any helmet as is but this is the perfect helmet to try it i think...I Will give in a few further hot washes to break up the mud..then i will take a few more pic's i think that would help make it look a tad better just to clear the thick mud and loose rust..i will keep you posted..
    many thanks
    Wayne

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Luftwaffe relic: should i use acid?
    P
    Many

?

Look up electrolisis rust removal, I have cleaned several items by that method, it only removes rust and not the parent metal. Several nice internet DIY, A car battery charger , a plastic bucket, washing soda and water plus a little time. And its safe if done outside.

I think this is a good candidate for an oxalic treatment. Electrolysis is likely to remove any paint/decal etc. The acid will work from the exterior of the rust going 'in' whilst the electrolysis will work in between the metal and the rust and will lift the rust away working 'out' but the trouble is, it is working underneath the paint and decal layer also so those will probably lift and go along with the rust.

I think electrolysis is great for rust removal on things like weapons and bayonets etc where paint isn't an issue but for helmets i'd be looking at oxalic acid only.

Ok i am back in from work and i plan to give it The boiling water treatment on the inside to break up the mud and i will try and give the outside a gentle scrubb with the wife's toothbrush..only joking haha..i will see how this process goes and will defo go for the oxalic acid..i will buy some off ebay and try that..i think i will try it on the M42 i got with this one first, That has no decal's but has traces of grey paint,,,
    Wayne

?

Just wash in cold water. The mud will come off anyway. I don't think the remnant of the decal would like boiling water. If you don't care about the decal, i would go for a stiff brush and oxalic acid/vinegar. Be prepared that a lot of holes will appear that you can't see at the moment.
    Different stages of cleaning. Not one hole was visible from the beginning. Have pics.

M40 Luftwaffe relic: should i use acid? M40 Luftwaffe relic: should i use acid?

They almost look like moth holes, must have been a pretty pissed off moth to chew through metal like that.

?

Angry Russian moths eating steel.

Ok guys this is what she looks like after another scrubb i used hot water on the inside and warm water on the outside..i think it needs a oxalic acid wash to get rid of the pesky rust...Oh yeah the decal is more now
    wayne
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 Luftwaffe relic: should i use acid?   M40 Luftwaffe relic: should i use acid?  

M40 Luftwaffe relic: should i use acid?   M40 Luftwaffe relic: should i use acid?  

I love that helmet, I love that helmet

?

Very nice decal.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast